Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to flush my coolant, the guides I keep reading about are installing T's in their lines in order to add water etc. What I want to know if there is a simpler way of not having to cut into the heating lines and install fittings etc.

Would emptying the radiator not be enough? Some then say to empty the radiator fill the rad then with garden hose water and turn the Jeep on?

I'm just unclear on what the actual process is and what should be done. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You can flush your block by draining the block and radiator then filling the radiator with distilled water running the engine to operating temp, draining it, then repeat until you get clear water. Drain block and radiator and fill with 50/50 coolant mix...... More work than adding a flushing T if you ask me.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I remove stat... remove upper hose and cap from rad... insert garden hose without a nozzle into radiator where upper hose was... turn on water and run engine..... when the rad is full blip the throttle.... rad will empty in less than a second.... allow garden hose a few seconds to catch up again and start to overflow rad.... blip throttle again.... continue till clear water comes out.... turn off engine and reconnect upper hose.... drive for a few days w water and no stat.... repeat process and then fill w coolant when water stays clean.... no othet method will get it cleaner easier.

DO NOT DO THIS IF TEMPS COULD POSSIBLY FALL BELOW FREEZING!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would follow Gottagofast's advice. I do cheat sometimes and shove the hose in the radiator cap opening rather than where the intake hose WAS attached.

First, I would put some "flush and fill" in the system, and let it run for a while to loosen the debris before flushing the system.

If you have ANY coolant in there now, drain that first and dispose of properly! Then it's more OK to let it splash all over your driveway as you flush and fill.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice however I don't understand buddies stuff up there at all. What does 'rad is full blip the throttle' that sentence mean?

I keep reading thread where it is not recommended to drain the block by undoing the drain screw.

So let me get this straight;

1) empty radiator tank, by simply pulling the drain plug.
2) fill it back up with water
3) start the Jeep, let it actually run and idle. This circulates coolant/ and some water now.
4) drain radiator again.
5) fill radiator again with water
6)start the Jeep, let it actually run and idle. This circulates coolant/ and some water now.
7) hopefully at this point your getting more water to drain than coolant (orange stuff).
8) refill with 50/50 mix.

Is this the right assumption? Does the water during the flushes have to be distilled or can you use tap water. I know that when I fill it up the last time with coolant it should/needs to be distilled.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Is this the right assumption?
Draining only via the rediator makes to tough to get more than about half of the contents out of the system. That means that adding a 50/50 mix will net you about 75% water in the system, assuming that you have flushed enough times to approach 100% water. (The FSM specifies a minimum of 44% coolant.)

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You remove the stat (thermostat) so that the water pump is able to move water at high speed without restriction.... what we are actually flushing for the most part is sediment and water needs to move fast to do so... cold water entering the engine will keep the thermostat closed so it must be removed to do any good

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Rad full, blip throttle means.... every time the radiator gets filled back up by the constantly running garden hose you rev the engine hard.... water will gush at high speed out of the upper radiator hose..... very quickly the flow will almost stop and you need to immediately release the throttle and allow the engine to idle while the radiator fills back up.... do this again and again....

You will get a little wet and the water coming out will be warm but not hot.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
You remove the stat (thermostat) so that the water pump is able to move water at high speed without restriction.... what we are actually flushing for the most part is sediment and water needs to move fast to do so... cold water entering the engine will keep the thermostat closed so it must be removed to do any good
A 75 psi garden hose will move water much faster than the water pump ever will. And it will move right around the thermostat is the heater circuit is used. (Perhaps you don't understand that he heater flow bypasses a closed thermostat.) Removing the thermostat is completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can flush your block by draining the block and radiator then filling the radiator with distilled water running the engine to operating temp, draining it, then repeat until you get clear water. Drain block and radiator and fill with 50/50 coolant mix...... More work than adding a flushing T if you ask me.
This is the way I do it too. After the last drain comes out clear, I add 21.5 pints of 100% coolant and then add enough distilled water to fill the radiator and the recovery tank. 21.5 pints of coolant when added with the water gives a 50/50 mix as my engine holds 21.5 quarts total including the recovery tank.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
A 75 psi garden hose will move water much faster than the water pump ever will. And it will move right around the thermostat is the heater circuit is used. (Perhaps you don't understand that he heater flow bypasses a closed thermostat.) Removing the thermostat is completely unnecessary.
Believe what you want... results dont lie
I tried your way for decades before finally learning what I know now

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
Don't forget to flush the heater core - Disconnect the heater hoses at the front of the engine and flush both ways (I use a garden hose) - afterwards, water can be expelled from the core simply by blowing in one of the heater hoses (doesn't take much).
I've seen systems with crystal clear coolant and brown sludge will be flushed from the heater core.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So went from figuring out how to do this flush and keeping it simple to talking about PSI ratings of garden hoses.

Is this acceptable?

1) empty radiator tank, by simply pulling the drain plug.
2) fill it back up with water
3) start the Jeep, let it actually run and idle. This circulates coolant/ and some water now.
4) drain radiator again.
5) fill radiator again with water
6)start the Jeep, let it actually run and idle. This circulates coolant/ and some water now.
7) hopefully at this point your getting more water to drain than coolant (orange stuff).
8) refill with 50/50 mix.

·
Commercial Member
7,874 Posts
So went from figuring out how to do this flush and keeping it simple to talking about PSI ratings of garden hoses.

Is this acceptable?
No actually.
That way described leaves the block full of water (should be distilled), and you need to refill with full strength.
Also missing the step of flushing the heater core.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Won't do a much... thats not a flush, that's a drain n fill.... twice

·
Registered
140 Posts
I remove stat... remove upper hose and cap from rad... insert garden hose without a nozzle into radiator where upper hose was... turn on water and run engine..... when the rad is full blip the throttle.... rad will empty in less than a second.... allow garden hose a few seconds to catch up again and start to overflow rad.... blip throttle again.... continue till clear water comes out.... turn off engine and reconnect upper hose.... drive for a few days w water and no stat.... repeat process and then fill w coolant when water stays clean.... no othet method will get it cleaner easier. DO NOT DO THIS IF TEMPS COULD POSSIBLY FALL BELOW FREEZING!
With this method flush heater core also if heater is turned on?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts