Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searches here which have given me part of an answer to my issue, but wanted to get opinions to help me on the other part.

I have a 2010 JKU Sahara.

So, noticed my coolant was a just a little low (it was at or just right above the min line). Must of been lack of coffee this morning , but I added some to it before realizing I was adding "the green stuff" and my coolant in the reservoir isn't green. After reading here and online, I can see I mixed two different types it seems (It was Peak long-life, which their site swears is compatible with any vehicle or antifreeze), though not too much. I maybe added a bit over a pint, but no more than a quart. So... seems opinion here is I need to get it flushed out and re-filled. Due to where I live (and my landlord's rules) I cannot do this myself and will need to take it in to a shop. Problem is that due to work I may not make it there till next weekend. My question is, will it be a huge issue going a week or so till I can get it flushed? I do not drive more than about 5-10 miles a day. This probably is a stupid question... but I'd rather look stupid than do anything that will damage my Jeep.

Thanks in advance!

·
Retired Moderator
100,483 Posts
The color is not a issue.

Your 2010 takes HOAT Antifreeze. Don't worry about the color....

The two antifreeze's that are not compatible is HOAT and OAT. OAT is used in the newer 2013's through current and is purple in color.

Most antifreeze's that are sold from local parts stores are HOAT. Just look on the bottle and see what it says.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Since you have a 2010 the HOAT coolant is 5 yr./100,000 miles. If it hasn't been replaced it's 2 yrs. past it's service spec. and should be flushed. HOAT coolant is more tolerant to generic All Makes/Models coolant. You should be fine, but I would replace the coolant with MOPAR HOAT whenever you're able to take care of it. If you had 2013 plus with OAT that would be different and you would need to take care of it as soon as possible. What you can do for now is to take something like a baster, remove the coolant in the reservoir and put it into some type of bottle so it won't spill on the ground. Then replace it with distilled water until it can be serviced. You only need to keep the level in the reservoir approx. 2-3" above the MIN line cold. I guess Old Dogger and I responded at the same time. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts