Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2001 TJ running for about 20 minutes stationary with the A/C on (in the Texas heat), and when I got out I noticed a large amount of coolant had dropped and formed a pool on the floor. I didn't notice a temperature spike beforehand and didn't see an active leak anywhere. Just a bunch of coolant sprayed all over the underside of the hood and the engine block. Is it possible that much coolant could blow through the Pressure Release on the radiator cap? If so is that something I need to have replaced?

I filled it up with 50/50 coolant and threw some cardboard underneath and have not seen a single drop of coolant since. Temperature gauge reads normal, and when I drive it I noticed a little more coolant spray on the hood etc, not sure if it's just leftover residue being thrown around by the fan. Thanks for any input or ideas, just don't want to keep driving and ruin the radiator if it's something I really need to get checked out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
maybe a pin hole in a hose, or by a loose clamp, or radiator tank seal. try to isolate location-clean off all coolant, drive some , be careful, open hood, turn engine off and watch. As it sets- pressure builds & it may start spraying or dripping at leak .I think if cap didnt hold it would dump to the overflow tank. Becareful don't cook you motor if something is leaking that bad under pressure now- it could blow and dump all coolant before you get it shut down in time. Easist way to find problem is with a pressure tester. this is a shop tool and too expensive just to own for seldom use. I would put a new radiator cap on anyway.(correct psi/ for yr model/eng size) cheap enough. But sounds like maybe leak out somewhere else.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If it leaked once I'm pretty sure it will leak again. I would take it to a shop, like Jerry's Radiators, they should pressure test it for free. Then you can see what is leaking and start putting money into parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts