Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a timing chain & carb put on my 90 wrangler, 6 cyl, got it home and now it's leaking coolant out of the middle lower part of my radiator. Had a garage with a good reputation do the work but am wondering if something could've nicked it or is it just the next thing that needs replaced at this particular time? Also, where is the best place to but a radiator, prices vary so much online that I question the product

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Is it leaking out of a plastic tank or the metal (aluminum) cores?

Most recommend a NAPA replacement radiator. It is simply a Spectra Premium rebranded radiator. They are available on Rock Auto for about $50 cheaper than NAPA?

I doubt the shop "nicked" anything. Even if they did, the radiator was hanging by a thread to begin with and they just cut the thread. I'll bet the radiator was clogged up with a bunch of junk and the shop flushed out your cooling system, freeing up the junk stopping the leak.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I got my last radiator from a place out of Florida on Ebay. Free shipping and was like 50 bucks. Nice unit and fit fine.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,937 Posts
M.M. Has a great point. Spectra makes a better than average replacement, But if you're not in a hurry you can get online for a lot less. Had to buy one from autozone in an emergency for my grand cherokee for $203, online same exact part from Amazon $84.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I got the spectra premium from NAPA. Does just fine.
Get a new MOPAR cap for it.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I think I would look at it and see if they did hit it with a tool will doing the timing chain, but like said before if it has not been replaced in a while, then it may just be that time in the old girl's life!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I replaced it, on to the next maintenance item! Even made it into the woods for some dirt road driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts