Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed a slow coolant leak under my Jeep but cannot figure out where it is coming from. I see a small puddle of coolant on the bottom of the fan shroud but don’t see where it came from. I don’t see a line of coolant going back to the radiator and I don’t see any moisture around the fan clutch, nut or on the blades. I recently flushed my radiator for the first time since I bought it so I am guessing I unplugged a leak that the PO had sealed. I would rather find and fix the leak then seal it so I would really like to know where it is coming from. My first thought was the water pump, but I am not sure where exactly the weep hole is when its mounted, is it somewhere that I can see or feel? I flushed the radiator about 3 weeks ago and my fluid level is not noticeably lower but I can definitely see a wet spot on the dry concrete below the Jeep and the coolant dripping from the fan shroud down to the tie rod then to the ground.

Where else can this leak be coming from? :confused:

My jeep is a stock 2001 Sahara with about 102,000 miles.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had the same thing happen, water at the bottom of the fan shroud and couldn't find the source. Turned out to be the radiator leaking at the top where the seam is. Very hard to spot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What year, how many miles? Most likely, it's the rad. When the eng is cool, take the cap off and look into the rad. What do the cooling fins look like? Corroded? If the rad is leaking it's probably around the top tank and the eng. fan is drawing it in and it condenses after cooling in the bottom of the fan shroud.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
I noticed on my TJ that it would drain the whole coolant tank overnight... It was a valve on the bottom of the radiator. Adjusted it and haven't had a prob since. If you have a hole in your radiator I would suggest quiksteel, I used it on my company's motorcoach and ran it for 3000 miles, took it to the repair shop and they pressure tested it to double what normal pressure would be

1 - 6 of 6 Posts