Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Yet another issue with my wife's 01. About a week ago whe was headed to work when she noticed the temp gauge spiked out and of course, smoke pouring out of the engine compartment. She got the help she needed to make it back to the house, less than 1 mile. I changed the thermostat and replaced the coolant. Now the new problem, Jeep has started leaking coolant. It looks to be leaking from around the pulley that is below the thermostat housing. It looks to be the WP housing. I cannot tell for sure, because it only leaks when under pressure. It does seem to leak quite a bit though. Is it a big job to replace the water pump housing and gasket. I seem to run out of daylight. And the freezing temps around east tn right now are not very conductive for working outside. My wife is wanting to drive it also. Not sure about how much it is leaking. I want her to drive, but do not want it to completely blow out on the road. Thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts
Seeings how it is leaking antifreeze from the engine I would diffidently NOT drive it!

Follow the bottom hose out of the rad and trace it to the pump.
If it is indeed a pump that is failing replace it asap.

By the way, what are the stats on this jeep?

C.

·
Registered
688 Posts
By the way, did you make absolutely certain to clean the t-stat housing and block where it mates uber clean?

If not it will leak all over the place.

C.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleaned the area up really well. Had more trouble getting the hose back on than the housing. LOL Reading around here, alot of people say the WP housing leaks when it is off. Hers only leaks while running. At a pretty good drip too. I cant officially say its the pum but the thermostat housing and hose are dry. Also there is no coolant trails on the hood or upper hose, that are fresh anyway. I rinsed everything off when i changed the thermostat. One point too, I did not use distilled water, just coolant and tap water. apparently that is a no, no.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok now for an update...Ive changed the water pump out, and had to replace the thermostat gasket again so i could get WP out. after getting it back together started and warm, now it wants to overheat. toop hose is hot as the hoses going to the heater core. Lower hose is still cold though. So is the new thermostat i put in not working or is something else going on inside? At a loss right now. :banghead:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ok now for an update...Ive changed the water pump out, and had to replace the thermostat gasket again so i could get WP out. after getting it back together started and warm, now it wants to overheat. toop hose is hot as the hoses going to the heater core. Lower hose is still cold though. So is the new thermostat i put in not working or is something else going on inside? At a loss right now. :banghead:
Since that's a totally new problem, sounds like the replacement water pump is bad. That happens at times. Replacement parts can be defective, sometimes in batches.
Thermostat appears to be opening as it should. Cold return pipe indicates no circulation of coolant.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Possibly a WP with the fins turned wrong way? Ugh.
I have heard of blades breaking and stopping flow. They actually found a batch of water pumps, from an auto parts store, with cracks in the impellers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts