Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Themis is probably a more general engine question rather than specific to my Jeep. But I’m not well versed in troubleshooting cooling system problems. I have A 2005 Wrangler with a 4.0. Recently I started loosing coolant. I noticed it one day when my temp was up slightly but it never got “hot”. My first diagnosis was a leaky radiator cap. Running or while shut off it was leaking slowly into the vent tube. Replaced that. Refilled the water and things seem to have been fine for a couple weeks. Now suddenly I’m low on coolant again. Filled it again and within a couple days it’s a bit low. I see absolutely no leakage anywhere so I’m assuming it may be a head gasket. I did check the oil and all is well with it so I know it’s not leaking into the crankcase at all. What I’m after here is to see if you all agree with what I’m thinking and if so what’s a good way to check to see if I am in fact loosing it through the head gasket before I spend the time repairing that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The leak may be into the cylinder or cylinders and being pushed out the exhaust as steam.This may happen only after the engine warms up, thus no water in the oil. Do you have steam coming out of the exhaust? You can remove the spark plugs and compare them to pictures, usually on the back of some Hayes shop manuals. If your are "burning" antifreeze it will show up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not noticed any steam at all. That’s what kind of had me questioning things. I thought about the spark plug deal. Probably gonna check that out this weekend. I’ve worked more on Diesel engines and some of the things that go on are a little different than on gas engines. This is my first go around with a possible head gasket issue on a gas engine. I’ve rebuilt plenty. Just not had this issue.

·
Registered
300 Posts
For what it’s worth, I’ll just say I was making a rookie mistake by checking the coolant level when the engine was at different temperatures.
I recently did a coolant system overhaul as preventative maintenance. I was worried it was going to leak somewhere when I finished the overhaul. I was checking the levels at different engine temps when I finished the job and thought I had a leak.

Turns out it’s ok. I only check after it sat all night. I’ll even mark it’s exact level with a sharpie, then check again the next day.

The only other thing I can think of that wasn’t mentioned is your heater core is leaking.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same thing, it was my radiator. Leaks, dries up, you never see it. I also have had my heater core leak too.. but the inside of the cab smells like coolant something fierce.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts