Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 wrangler and the coolant reducir is loosing coolant. I’ve put in an entire container of coolant in the last two months. I just checked it again after driving and it is down towards min level. Operating temp in normal on the dash, no service lights, no noticeable leaks under the engine.

I first realized it was low when the heat was only getting hot when the rpms were up and accelerating. Any ideas of what it could be?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Check where the overflow attaches to your radiator under the cap.
If it's wet there, or you see any traces of seepage, use a zip tie like a hose clamp on that hose.
Actually, I'd just do that anyway.
Mine's been like that for 5 years

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked it when the engine is hot and cold it’s still at min level Doesn’t move. There are no visible leaks under it on the ground, at any hoses, and no I see no stains indicating any leaks. I’ve replaced the radiator cap that’s all that I’ve done so far. I was told it could be head gasket by one person.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Mine uses coolant also, no leaks. If you have a head gasket problem a CEL will eventually light. I stopped worry about it and just add coolant when needed.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
47,344 Posts
I have checked it when the engine is hot and cold it’s still at min level Doesn’t move. There are no visible leaks under it on the ground, at any hoses, and no I see no stains indicating any leaks. I’ve replaced the radiator cap that’s all that I’ve done so far. I was told it could be head gasket by one person.
^^^That is not normal. When your engine is up to operating temp, your overflow bottle should have more coolant in it. Then as your engine cools down, the radiator though the radiator cap will draw coolant back into the radiator. end result, less coolant seen in overflow bottle.

1. Did you replace your Radiator cap with a Mopar cap?

2. Make sure that your radiator is topped off with coolant when cold. If it is not full, top it off, and warm up the engine with the heater on full heat. Then let it cool down, and check it once again. The Radiator has to be full of coolant, and free of air, for it to draw coolant back to the radiator at cool down.

3. Flush your over flow bottle out. Most of them are full of crap (stop leak) in the bottom of the bottle.

4. Also blow out the coolant line from the radiator to the coolant bottle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a tiny leak in my radiator. It's plastic. Have to add fluid about as much add you described. It doesn't pool in the garage after parking it so it must evaporate while I'm driving.

·
Noob
58 Posts
I had a similar situation and thought I had a leak. I bought the special funnel and did the cooling system burping procedure, twice, to get the air out of the system. Things seem stable now. I haven't had to add coolant since the last burping. I also keep enough coolant in the overflow bottle so that I can see it when I take the cap off the reservoir. It is close to the max line. I've never seen coolant on the ground under the Jeep nor anywhere I can see on the engine, hoses, radiator, etc. The burping procedure is really something every Jeep owner should experience.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
From what the OP is describing he has a leak. If a visual inspection doesn't indicate a leak and the coolant level is dropping requiring topping up, then pressure test the cooling system and the radiator cap. You could have a bad head gasket, or a pin hole leak somewhere. IMO pressure testing is fool proof, and it will rule out evaporation.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
From what the OP is describing he has a leak. If a visual inspection doesn't indicate a leak and the coolant level is dropping requiring topping up, then pressure test the cooling system and the radiator cap. You could have a bad head gasket, or a pin hole leak somewhere. IMO pressure testing is fool proof, and it will rule out evaporation.
If you were burning it you would have a lot of white smoke out the exhaust. If it was seeping into the oil pan you would see the increased level on the oil dipstick and the oil would be milky. Probably have a slow leak and it's evaporating. As above, a pressure test will easily determine if it's a leak.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
If you were burning it you would have a lot of white smoke out the exhaust. If it was seeping into the oil pan you would see the increased level on the oil dipstick and the oil would be milky. Probably have a slow leak and it's evaporating. As above, a pressure test will easily determine if it's a leak.
Not always unfortunately, white smoke can often be confused with condensation burning off, especially in the winter. Then once the engine reaches operating temps the catalytic converter gets hot enough to burn off condensation, and a small leak from a head gasket, and the smoke from coolant is not always seen. Been there done that. A large leak going into the cylinders is another story. Also head gaskets can leak internally and externally, and not enough into the oil to raise the level. Especially if the vehicle is driven on long trips and the oil gets hot enough to burn off the water/coolant mix.

I'm not disagreeing with you, my point is the coolant is going somewhere. In a case like this I break out the pressure tester, and if need be add dye to the cooling system and work with the pressure tester and the black light. Used oil analysis will tell if a small amount of coolant, undetected by the dipstick is making its way into the oil. I have a 2016 Rubicon, I haven't topped up the cooling system yet. So as far as evaporation loss, there hasn't been much if any yet. IMO the OP's leak should be an easy find.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Not always unfortunately, white smoke can often be confused with condensation burning off, especially in the winter. Then once the engine reaches operating temps the catalytic converter gets hot enough to burn off condensation, and a small leak from a head gasket, and the smoke from coolant is not always seen. Been there done that. A large leak going into the cylinders is another story. Also head gaskets can leak internally and externally, and not enough into the oil to raise the level. Especially if the vehicle is driven on long trips and the oil gets hot enough to burn off the water/coolant mix.

I'm not disagreeing with you, my point is the coolant is going somewhere. In a case like this I break out the pressure tester, and if need be add dye to the cooling system and work with the pressure tester and the black light. Used oil analysis will tell if a small amount of coolant, undetected by the dipstick is making its way into the oil. I have a 2016 Rubicon, I haven't topped up the cooling system yet. So as far as evaporation loss, there hasn't been much if any yet. IMO the OP's leak should be an easy find.
He has a sizable leak, I have 93k on mine and it is 10 years old, if I added a qt in that time, that's a lot. Only issue so far with my cooling system is the cap went bad. Time to change the fluid though. I'm guessing he has a crack in the radiator with what I've seen on here or a leak at the pump.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
He has a sizable leak, I have 93k on mine and it is 10 years old, if I added a qt in that time, that's a lot. Only issue so far with my cooling system is the cap went bad. Time to change the fluid though. I'm guessing he has a crack in the radiator with what I've seen on here or a leak at the pump.
Agreed. I've added less than a quart of coolant in almost 80k on my 2012. Doesn't use any coolant. I'm overdue for a flush, but I'm worried it's going to mess up my perfectly operating heater core :|

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Agreed. I've added less than a quart of coolant in almost 80k on my 2012. Doesn't use any coolant. I'm overdue for a flush, but I'm worried it's going to mess up my perfectly operating heater core :|
Buddy, I was thinking the same thing, I'll drain, refill and cause a leak..................

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
No doubt his leak his leak is big. Which should be easy to find.

Here's another way to rule out an internal head gasket leak. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1NA22J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

External HG leak, use a dye and a black light.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My coolant levels where dropping too. it turned out to be the oil cooler. its common for those to fail. its a shit design.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
either you have a rad leak or engine oil filter/cooler assembly leak. Lots of documentation on both issues

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
2012 wrangler and the coolant reducir is loosing coolant. I’ve put in an entire container of coolant in the last two months. I just checked it again after driving and it is down towards min level. Operating temp in normal on the dash, no service lights, no noticeable leaks under the engine.

I first realized it was low when the heat was only getting hot when the rpms were up and accelerating. Any ideas of what it could be?

Every vehicle looses coolant because some of it evaporates so you do have to keep that in mind.

Aside from that I've noticed that when I exercise my jeep hard the pressure is enough to overcome the factory spring clamp on the lower rad hose and it drips a little until pressure drops slightly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mechanic found a leak in the heater core and needs to be replaced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts