Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get some other opinions on....2012 Rubi unlim was sitting in garage for a couple of days at temps below 35 deg. and altitude of 8000'. I started engine and let it warm up, then drove for approx 10 minutes. I shut it down, & as I walked in front, I heard a gurgling sound. I noticed it was leaking coolant from the overflow container. I'm thinking either a stuck thermostat or a bad radiator cap. After that event, I added a small amount of HOAT anti-freeze/ distilled water; & it has not leaked or overflowed. I then drove it for another 350 miles down to better weather. Gauge never read hot. Your thoughts please .

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
I would start by changing the radiator cap. Replace it, with a Mopar cap.
When you fill your overflow bottle, 2" max above the min level when cold. When you raise the level higher, they have a tendency to puke some of the coolant back out of the overflow vent.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would start by changing the radiator cap. Replace it, with a Mopar cap.
When you fill your overflow bottle, 2" max above the min level when cold. When you raise the level higher, they have a tendency to puke some of the coolant back out of the overflow vent.
^X2
16PSI rad cap from Mopar (available on Amazon/eBay.)

agree also on the pouring coolant just between MIN and MAX level indicators is best for prevention of the "slosh-out" due to it being too full. It doesn't take much angle- or even a fast take-off from standing still can instigate it - to cause the overflow container to belch forth that silly , expensive orange HOAT....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts