Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got home from work the other night and heard a weird bubbling sound coming from the engine bay. Popped the hood and opened the coolant reservoir to find coolant bubbling back up into the reservoir. (I'll add the video below). I have been running slightly above average temperature with the gauge sometimes spiking to very hot and then back down to normal. The thermostat and water pump are both new, put them in at the beginning of the year since my old one crapped out and put all new coolant in at the time too.

I am planning on flushing everything today and putting all new coolant in. Just wanted to see what everyone thought might be happening because I have no idea.

It's a 4.0 I6 btw and my Jeep is a 2000. I am assuming the radiator is still the original but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would also consider replacing the radiator cap with a new 18# cap. Stant is a good choice.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Also, TJ's really need to be burped when you refill the coolant system, else you get the symptoms you described. In the winter you can also toss a CEL showing that the coolant did not come up to engine temp fast enough.

Burping after a drain/fill means you park it nosing up a hill so that all the bubbles move forward over and through the hoses, then squeeze your upper hose after you run it a bit. You will see it burp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts