Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Wrangler with the 4.0 engine that has been seaping coolant around the top plastic radiator tank for a couple of years now but hasn't been loosing over a cup or so every few months.
Has anyone with a very old Wrangler replaced their radiator for this reason, and if so how old was it when you did the replacement?
And for any replacements, did you go back with the crappy plastic tanks or upgrade to the metal tanks? Also, is this a good time to upgrade from the OEM one row of tubes to 2 or 3 rows? My Jeep never runs the slightest bit hot so maybe this would be waste of money, but the metal tanks would have a longer life I would think, but if the original radiator lasted 8-9 years maybe that's long enough till the Jeep will be traded for a newer model.

·
Banned
139 Posts
We did the wife's 01 XJ this year and bought a 3-row all-metal (copper!) radiator from RadiatorBarn.com. Great price, fast delivery, excellent product.

My 05 TJL's radiator is still working fine. Her radiator died because of a horrible maintenance record. The stuff that came out was BROWN. Now that we are married, regular maintenance is not a problem anymore.

Also, consider running only G-05 coolant and distilled water after the swap to protect your investment.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Replaced the rad in my '01 last month due to slow leak....

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yeah that is a common problem with that style radiator. Most people when the replace go to a all metal radiator. I replaced mine when I was home in December, I went right to my local NAPA and got a replacement for like $10 more than any online pricing.

As for core size Jeep actually went to a single row core. So don't think you will get huge differences in your cooling by going to more rows. There is a lot of information on the whole radiator sizing debate..

·
Registered
379 Posts
My radiator had this problem for a few years until the neck(the top part with the cap and overflow container connection) of the radiator bulged up and started spraying radiator fuild all over my engine bay. Those POS plastic radiators need to go as soon as they start leaking, don't wait for the thing to fail and mess up your week.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Get an all metal before the stock fails. I was thinking it's not a big issue. Then mine cracked along the top and left me stranded. At least I was in my driveway. The all metal rads aren't expensive and it takes about an hour to replace. Mine runs just under 210 when before it was just over 210.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information fellows (or gals if the case may be). Sounds like I'd better quit procastranating and get me a new one ordered this winter before I do get left up on a mountain trail some place this next summer.

Will a 2 or 3 tube radiator fit in the same slot as the original without any changes?

I checked with NAPA last summer and all they could get was the original single tube plastic tank radiator. But RadiatorBarn does have a good price on them. Glad to hear they give good service, which is getting to be very hard to come by these days.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I replaced my 99 this year with a plastic jugged one. The original made it 11 years....

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thanks for the information fellows (or gals if the case may be). Sounds like I'd better quit procastranating and get me a new one ordered this winter before I do get left up on a mountain trail some place this next summer.

Will a 2 or 3 tube radiator fit in the same slot as the original without any changes?

I checked with NAPA last summer and all they could get was the original single tube plastic tank radiator. But RadiatorBarn does have a good price on them. Glad to hear they give good service, which is getting to be very hard to come by these days.
One thing to be careful of with Radiator Barn is they do not send you a Plastic radiator. I had called them and verified the radiator I wanted was metal, and they said yes. I got home on R/R and opened the box and it was Plastic. I sent it right back and they gave me a refund, and that is when I found out my local NAPA had an all metal one for 10 bucks more :) I have heard good things about Radiator Barn and am not bashing them, they got the wrong information from their vendor. They were quick to give me a refund as well..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts