Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting a coolant smell for about 2 months while idling in stop and go traffic, or in the drive-thru

So far I have replaced
Water pump & Serp belt
thermostat
did a full flush and fill

I can't see any coolant coming from anywhere, and the oil looks good

The fan works and the temp gauge never go past the middle line.

any Ideas?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would agree with the radiator cap as a first step. Mine would leak just enough to smell and occasionally see vapor. New one solved that until 100k miles later when I actually needed to replace the radiator.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Did you replace the factory constant tension spring clamps with worm screw clamps? Worm screw clamps tend to need more force for a good seal and, even then, it's problematic. It's not uncommon to see a small amount of vapor coming out under one of the worm clamps in the conditions you describe.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was stuck in traffic last night, and of course smelled coolant. When I got home I lifted the hood. I for sure could smell coolant from the cap(I ordered one, it is on its way)

I also saw that the overflow bottle was spewing coolant all over (see image) any clue why that would be? It was directly below where the overflow opening is

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Defective radiator cap and or the overflow bottle was overfilled.

Your overflow bottle has a minimum and a maximum level mark. Only fill it to no more than about 2" above the minimum level mark when cold.

It was right at the minimum mark when I checked it this weekend.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey all!

Doing a search for coolant leaks I came across this thread.

I have a 2010 Sport. I bought it used in 2012. At least as long as I've owned the vehicle I would periodically see vapor coming from the grill area when stopped at a light. The gauge always reads normal (once the engine reaches normal operating temp) and she's never overheated on me.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If that's happening when there's rain, condensation or cool/wet conditions it's normal. Sometimes you'll see a lot of "steam" from condensation burning off. If it's happening when it's dry, or after the engine is at operating temperature, have the system pressure tested for possible leaks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I (OP) have a 2008 JKUS. I did get a new radiator cap, and it seems better. Still not completely fixed though. I am going to try a pressure test next

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Pressure testing the cooling system and testing the radiator cap would be the fist order of business after a visual inspection for leaks if I smell coolant.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If that's happening when there's rain, condensation or cool/wet conditions it's normal. Sometimes you'll see a lot of "steam" from condensation burning off. If it's happening when it's dry, or after the engine is at operating temperature, have the system pressure tested for possible leaks.
Interesting. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts