Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2013 Moab that was low on coolant when I bought it. Always smells like coolant but doesn’t hit the ground. Trying to find source and saw this… Looks sus. Is it the thermostat cover? I want to order correct part. Any upgrades that aren’t plastic?

thanks, first Jeep so still learning.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It is and u can get for $35.

U can get "upgraded" t stats but I dont know of any housing upgrades but maybe someone else has.

Pretty common issue.

Enjoy the new ride

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is and u can get for $35.

U can get "upgraded" t stats but I dont know of any housing upgrades but maybe someone else has.

Pretty common issue.

Enjoy the new ride

Awesome, thanks. Nice day in NC took a long ride with doors and freedom tops off. T-Rex my German Shepherd rode in the back seat loving it. Daughter in front. Awesome feeling.

Thx

·
Registered
881 Posts
Awesome, thanks. Nice day in NC took a long ride with doors and freedom tops off. T-Rex my German Shepherd rode in the back seat loving it. Daughter in front. Awesome feeling.

Thx
Not a bad diy/just make sure to use proper coolant and get all the air out when refilling.

Have many great memories of the kids/jeep/dog adventures.

Set of rex specs for the pooch

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
Just replaced mine about a month or so ago, super simple and as noted, make sure you get the correct fluid. I also got one of those fancy air bleeder radiator kits, under $20$ helps get the air out. Mine does run a bit warmer now, due to not leaking venting pressure I suppose.

Reactions: Jmatthews

·
Registered
654 Posts
OP, funny you mention this issue as I have the same coolant scent after long rides too. Reservoir was low when I bought it in Dec but after topping it off the first time, the gargling sound Id get at startup was eliminated and I have had to top off the reservoir once more since. Still haven't located the leak but I know there's a tiny one somewhere.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The coolant smell is common, sadly. Both of mine smell of it. Both never leak or get low in coolant.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The coolant smell is common, sadly. Both of mine smell of it. Both never leak or get low in coolant.
Thanks for the heads up. That'd be fine by me, if that's the case with mine. But I also didn't get under it with a light and diligently check. Will get to that next week and chime back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts