Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember the last time I changed out the engine coolant, (2.5l btw). It was probably done about 50,000 miles ago, (when I blew a radiator hose on the highway and lost most of it).

Anyway, I was thinking about draining the coolant entirely, then filling it with GHW-100 (Garden Hose Water 100%), and then running the engine for a bit, then re-draining that fluid and filling it back up with the good stuff, (Prestone 50/50). Does that sound like a viable plan or is that not doable? Never done a coolant drain before, so let me know what you think is best :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Keep in mind that your coolant only circulates in one direction. I like to un hook the hoses to the heater core and run a garden hose through both hoses until that runs clean. Plug off the hoses and then do the engine.
Just my .02

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Nothing wrong with your idea. If you know that your radiator is in good condition, you can add some baking soda and white vinegar to the water and that will help clean the deposits out of the radiator and motor.

But if you are unsure of the condition of the radiator, I wouldn't advise the baking soda treatment. It can be too harsh on the copper in the radiator if its old.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't replaced the radiator so I assume it's stock, I'm the 2nd owner and I don't think it was replaced before me. So I think its way too old for a chemical treatment, that's a good suggestion though thanks. I'm not gonna mess anything up by running straight water into the engine will I? I don't intend on going above idle, I kinda just wanted it flushed threw and then dump it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts