Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed the distinct smell of coolant system vapor coming from
my 2015 JK Rubicon when I pull it into the garage and walk by the front end to the stairs. I now have about 16K miles on it. Gauge indicates normal temperature. Reservoir level at minimum when hot. No residue on the garage floor.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
This is very common, with the Oat antifreeze. It has a very strong odor.
Since our wranglers have a coolant overflow bottle that is vented, then some odor will always be present from it.

Now, when your engine is hot, then your coolant levels should be higher when hot. As your engine cools down, then the coolant is drawn back into the radiator. If the level never changes, then you probably have a bad radiator cap.

If you frequently have to add additional coolant, then you should have your Dealer pressurize the cooling system.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2014 since it was almost new - Turns out some of the radiators are bad from the supplier and need to be replaced. The tanks are separating from the core and a very small leak develops. Mine was replaced last week. No more coolant smell.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the same smell coming from the front of the vehicle. Turned out to be a cracked t-stat housing. Dealer repaired it on their dime.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
This is very common, with the Oat antifreeze. It has a very strong odor.
Since our wranglers have a coolant overflow bottle that is vented, then some odor will always be present from it.

Now, when your engine is hot, then your coolant levels should be higher when hot. As your engine cools down, then the coolant is drawn back into the radiator. If the level never changes, then you probably have a bad radiator cap.

If you frequently have to add additional coolant, then you should have your Dealer pressurize the cooling system.
X2. OAT systems basically smell more than HOAT systems in JK's and the tanks are vented. If you keep your level in the expansion tank approx. 2-3" above the MIN line cold that's a good general level to be at. If there's ever a question that there's a leak, pressure testing the system is a good place to start in order to troubleshoot it, if there are no other signs of an obvious leak.

·
Registered
448 Posts
With my leak I would see a wiff of steam coming out of the front-end once and a while as the system heated up and pressurized. I kept looking but could never find it. The pressure test by the dealer confirmed my suspicions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Similar Problem with my '15

Hi all, this same issue has surfaced with my '15. (18K on it) Pressure test on 6/1 revealed no leak. A week later, I saw steam just once. Have not seen it since. Any thoughts? I find this really annoying. Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had the same problem with my 15 JKU Willys. Dealer replace radiator, radiator cap and water pump. No more smell. Took them three tries to fix it though !

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
If the reservoir level does not change after each heat/cool cycle (measured when cold) then the system should be ok. If pressure test indicates no presence of a leak then you are ok.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
my 2014 had the same issue and dealer replaced the rad. really noticed it in the winter time but it was so cold that I could not see where it was leaking. it ended up being the seam on the lower left side (driver).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts