Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 JKU with a 3.5 game changer with 35's. Auto trans and 373 gears. I don't remember what my coolant temperature ran before the lift but I currently run between 220 and 225 degrees on just about any day above 75 ambient. First what should the temperature be? I was thinking of flushing the system (is this something I can do easily or should I just $$). If that does work then get a thin pusher fan and put it in front of the radiator. TIA

·
Registered
746 Posts
Welcome to the world of Jeep emisions, they like to run the engine hot.

Try leaving the AC on it will turn the engine fan on Low and keep coolant temps down

The 35's and 3.73 is putting a strain on the motor too making it work harder to keep up to speed

·
Registered
355 Posts
Those temps are normal in my experience. The ECU seems to be programmed to let the engine run in that range since the radiator fan duty cycle on surface streets is only around 10-15% at 220F. If the engine were actually overheating then the fan speed would increase, but since it doesn't that demonstrates that the ECU is happy with the temperature.

I have noticed that when in 4WD low range the fan speed does increase at lower temperatures and coolant temp is held to around 200F or so no matter what I do (further demonstrating that there is no problem with actual cooling capacity), but get back on pavement and return to 2WD street config and temp runs around 220F. That is just where the engineers seem to have set it for normal street driving. Maybe partially for emissions, or maybe to increase mileage because the engine runs more efficiently at higher temperatures, plus the fan is a big HP draw so running it unnecessarily also uses fuel. But whatever, there is no problem with it as long as your cooling system is in good shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts