Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having issues with the coolant system on my 15 JKU.
Fist time, bad radiator cap caused evaporation and loos of coolant. Last month the oil cooler went as well as the coolant tank .

Now when driving slow or idle, the temp gauge will randomly go up close to the 3/4 point from 30 sec to a minute or so and you can hear the fan ramp of really high, even with the radio on. Then it drops. Can happen once a day, few days or a couple of times a day.

Any ideas before I take it back to the dealer and ream them a new one??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're low on coolant. You have an air pocket trapped somewhere that must be purged.

The reservoir looks full and the dealer just filled it up

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts

Yes the reservoir will be full. The air pocket that is trapped is in the engine since it wasn't purged properly the last time it was opened. I use one of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I40ZQWE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Hook it up and fill the funnel about half full of coolant. Let the Jeep run while you work the upper hose squeezing and releasing it. At some point the air bubble will surface and the system will suck in the needed coolant. Sometimes it even helps to run the Jeep up on some ramps to make the air bubble come to the top. In some cases it will push coolant out the top so be ready to fill as it takes coolant back in.

In some situations like yours the heater will be intermittent or not at all but not in every case.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the reservoir will be full. The air pocket that is trapped is in the engine since it wasn't purged properly the last time it was opened. I use one of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I40ZQWE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Hook it up and fill the funnel about half full of coolant. Let the Jeep run while you work the upper hose squeezing and releasing it. At some point the air bubble will surface and the system will suck in the needed coolant. Sometimes it even helps to run the Jeep up on some ramps to make the air bubble come to the top. In some cases it will push coolant out the top so be ready to fill as it takes coolant back in.

In some situations like yours the heater will be intermittent or not at all but not in every case.

Thanks. Ordered and will try out

·
Registered
360 Posts
I agree with the air pocket. And also give a quick look at the thermostat making sure it opens when it reaches the designed temp to release the hot coolant to the radiator.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with the air pocket. And also give a quick look at the thermostat making sure it opens when it reaches the designed temp to release the hot coolant to the radiator.

Where is that located? Something I can YouTube? Trying to avoid dealer, rental car, etc

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Thanks. Ordered and will try out

Just another word of warning. I had to modify one of the adapters that came with this thing to fit my radiator. I'm running an all aluminum 3 row aftermarket radiator though. If you still have the OEM or even something else it may work without change. I don't know. I've had a couple other guys use mine but I didn't pay any attention to which adapter they used. :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Where is that located? Something I can YouTube? Trying to avoid dealer, rental car, etc

It's attached to the block where the large, upper radiator hose attaches to it. On the JK its an assembly, so you replace the housing and the thermostat as one.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts

As long as the thermostat housing isn't leaking this won't be an issue since it only shows hot at low RPM. At speed it seems to be OK so the stat has to be operating reasonably close.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just another word of warning. I had to modify one of the adapters that came with this thing to fit my radiator. I'm running an all aluminum 3 row aftermarket radiator though. If you still have the OEM or even something else it may work without change. I don't know. I've had a couple other guys use mine but I didn't pay any attention to which adapter they used. :doh:

LOL, thanks. OEM radiator

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,518 Posts
Hi @DIRT BOY,

I understand that you are currently seeking DIY advice from other forum members. If you do decide to visit the dealer, feel free to send us a PM for additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi @DIRT BOY,

I understand that you are currently seeking DIY advice from other forum members. If you do decide to visit the dealer, feel free to send us a PM for additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

For now yes. Don’t trust the dealer at this point and paying another $100 deductible, waiting to go to rental car place, etc is not much of a hassle at this moment.
But thank you

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
From experience, burping your coolant can make a huge mess. So watch the coolant temp. If you have an Eivc shut the Jeep off before it gets above about 220. Keep in mind you must get it warm enough to open the t-stat, or basically 205 degrees. So you may have to rev the engine to get there. At 225 my coolant just exploded out the funnel and I lost about $10 worth on the ground. So it is a fine line between hot enough and too hot.

Also remember to run your heat.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
If you plan on doing work on cooling systems, this may be a good investment...

I bought one and although I've only used it twice, on two different vehicles, it works well and eliminates any trapped air..

https://www.tooltopia.com/uview-550000.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o2&scid=scplpUV+550000&sc_intid=UV+550000&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6p-buu_E5gIVHx-tBh1gzgvcEAQYAiABEgJU0_D_BwE
These tools work great but over the last bit prices have fallen dramatically. You can now get some models for as little as $35. I haven't decided which to get yet or how much to spend but I am going to have one soon.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Burped the radiator and seem ok for now. Will see when I am driving more.

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts