Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2012 Wrangler Unlimited just broke 100k miles. It has started making a random whining noise usually when it's first started. The first times I noticed it were in the morning with lots of moisture so I thought it was the belt with moisture on it. Now the fan is getting loud like an airplane engine when we're driving and the temp. is rising. when we turn the Jeep off the fan sounds like it is winding down. We're still getting the random whine noise too. Anyone have any ideas what it might be or where I should start?
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Our 2012 Wrangler Unlimited just broke 100k miles. It has started making a random whining noise usually when it's first started. The first times I noticed it were in the morning with lots of moisture so I thought it was the belt with moisture on it. Now the fan is getting loud like an airplane engine when we're driving and the temp. is rising. when we turn the Jeep off the fan sounds like it is winding down. We're still getting the random whine noise too. Anyone have any ideas what it might be or where I should start?
Thanks for any help

Yeah... well I'm wondering if this isn't all tied to your P0420 code. It COULD be an entirely separate issue... but it is quite the coincidence.

From what I understand you could get a p0420 if a misread cooling system is forcing a rich mixture for a good period of time causing issues with the cat, or a low coolant level is slugging through the system with lots of air pockets and causing enough erratic rich temperature changes to confuse the O2 sensors. In the other thread you said the heat was inconsistent. That can mean low coolant levels. you need to check that.

The jet engine sound the fan makes when winding down (from its highest speed) is quite normal... at least mine sounds that way from its highest run speed. Low coolant levels and/or a faulty coolant temp sensor can cause the fan to run high all the time, and if you're not used to hearing that....

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Thanks for any help
I would start with the belt and all related parts - pump, tensioners, pulley.
Basically just remove the belt and inspect every element for excesive play or rotational noise, start with the pump.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Based on what you described I would think your water pump is failing or failed.

·
Super Moderator
7,731 Posts
I agree with @TerryC6. I would check the alternator as well.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
I had something similar happened and was losing coolant. Oil pump broke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, the Jeep has been parked for several days do to weather conditions and being busy. However I noticed a small puddle under it and when I looked it appeared to possibly be the transmission coolant. I looked the next day and there was a bigger puddle. It also looks as though fluid is all over the bottom in that area

1 - 9 of 9 Posts