Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share my recent purchase of the Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX in 255/80r17 on a completely stock suspension 2015 JK Sport. This is my only vehicle so I rely on it to get me to work and kids to school, but I also surf regularly and have the kids out camping or at the lease. I’m more focused on economy and comfort while upping my light off road capabilities with the least amount of mods. I know, “It’s a Jeep bro! Who cares about comfort?” I get it, but after a while I get tired of watching crayons and kids floating around in my cab like a bunch of astronauts over every bump.

Here’s the skinny.

I chose this tire because it was the tallest I could get while still being comparable to the width on the stockies since I don’t want to upgrade to wider tires, a lift or spacers. I know BFG makes this size also but I don’t need mud tires. Here in South Texas we have mostly clay instead of dirt so I definitely need more than the stock tires that turn into slicks in clay but a good self cleaning all terrain is enough for what I get myself into, and I know the less aggressive tread will last longer on the blacktop.
The tires measured exactly 32” after mounted, vehicle weight on it, and aired to 41psi starting pressure. (Tire shop recommended. I have a thin paint stripe on the tread to see where the wear is and in a few days I’ll see if I need to air down.) 9.5” wide, with an actual footprint of 8.25” surface tread contacting the pavement The new kicks raised my center of gravity by .75”. Floor to bottom of fenders is now 36”front/36.75” rear.

I noticed the weight of the tires just hauling them in the back to get them mounted. They’re heavy. That’s mostly because of the reinforced sidewall which is nice for a little protection from all the mesquite thorns we have here. I thought that would really jar me on the road being stiffer, but I honestly couldn’t notice a difference driving on them. I did hit one little hill at moderate speed that I regularly encounter and could feel the weight there. The cab went up, but the tires weight kept them down and slung me back to the ground when the suspension caught up, so that’s something to possibly consider if you’re doing any higher speed stuff with bunny hops and small hills.

Road noise wasn’t noticed at all on the highway with the windows up.

I forced a deliberate nose dive at 30mph with hard breaking and it was like having a solid hard rubber tire. The tires skid about 10 feet, so I guess I’ll just get a stamp in the shape of cats to count how many I run over from not being able to stop.

I used the AEV Procal in the parking lot as soon as they backed it out. It took about 5 miles for my transmission to sober up and figure out when to shift after the tune, but after that it was shifting where it previously would in the rpm range. I did notice that it’s harder to use the pedal to trick the trans into upshifting once you hit your desired speed after the tune. Mileage is only 1/10mpg less than before according to my dash after 50 miles.

Driving on caliche it didn’t seem to grab and throw rocks like some of my buddies all terrains, so that’s nice not having to worry about peppering anyone following behind you. Especially here in South Texas where you can get sued for blinking too loud as much as you can for chipping someone’s already spider webbed windshield.

I took a short drive down the beach. It seemed like a little less slipping and sliding in the sand.

At full turn, I have a little over an inch between the tire and sway bar, so clearance while turning isn’t an issue.

Anyhow, that’s my unprofessional review. I’ve come to the conclusion that if you need to buy tires then these are a decent replacement if you don’t want to modify the suspension. It’s not as cool as most of the jeeps out there, but I hope this helps anyone looking for a little more to mitigate moderate off road capability with a relatively low impact on economy and drivability.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Waterbear,
Thanks for the tire eval, this is what I was looking for. I have these tires on my Z71 Tahoe and really like them, though they ARE heavy......they are really great at the ranch with thorns. I plan on changing the bfgs out to the 255/80s as soon as I get more miles under the Jeep and, like you, don't want to lift it......just yet. So, with the slight increase in size the ProCal helped your shift points? Man, I was thinking I could get away with not having to do that.......guess not. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I honestly don't know if it would affect the shift points too much. I used the procal immediately after getting them installed at the tire shop so I didn't get a chance to find out. I did notice that the trans took a bit to adjust to the cal and then found its shifting points and they happened to be about the same when it made up its mind. The tires are exactly the same hight as my buddy's BFG 285's but about .75" thinner, so if you check out any of the threads where the guys have been using the procal w the 285's then you could prob find what u need there since same diameter. My buddy at work has 285's and no cal. His shifts a little later than mine but it's only about 200 rpm difference when I drove it using my same driving style, so didn't seem like much to worry about. I did wind up getting the Teraflex 1" spacer to level it if you're interested in doing that. I did it in about 4hrs (quite a bit longer than what most people are reporting). It only threw off my front axle under 1/8", and my toe was unaffected. It looks a lot better. It's something you might consider that's relatively cheap (50$) and easy while you have these tires on before you get your next lift. Nice deer blind by the way.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Waterbear, I appreciate the feedback on the tires. How have you liked the Coopers so far? The ones on my Tahoe still have a lot of tread on them after several thousand miles, many of them on gravel ranch roads. They have handled well in every situation I've put them in...so far. I have pulled a lot of mesquite thorns out of them that never penetrated the tire carcass.....tough ass tires.
So, do you notice the weight of the tires a lot while taking off from a complete stop? Do they seem to ride rougher than the bfg mud terrains? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts