Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got quotes from my local Tire Kingdom.

265/70R18s

Cooper Discoverer A/T3s - $1007 out-the-door

BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s - $1300 out-the-door

there are a couple of discounts built into the above quotes and for the most part i trust these guys because i've been going there for 8+ years with several cars at this point. the manager tells me the KO2s are better and i don't doubt that - but $300 better?

what say this board??

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I have been buying Cooper tires for my vehicles for about 10 years now. They are very good tire. If the BFG tires are better, it is not by much. For off-roading, I would buy the BFG KO2 tires simply because the thread is a little more aggressive. But, if you do mainly street driving, I would definitely get the Cooper A/T3s.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I had the AT/3s on a 4Runner and now have the KO2s on a Grand Cherokee. I can honestly say I prefer the KO2 is every way but price. They look better, ride quieter on the highway (had to compare with windows down since the Jeep is already a lot quieter than the 4R), and handle better in ice/snow/gravel.

If we close the deal on this JKU I'm shopping, I'll be ponying up for another set of KO2s without hesitation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a disclaimer - i'm in FL so ice/snow is not a factor. every now and then i go to NC but rarely is there much snow on the ground.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yeah we started with the 4Runner in Jacksonville before we moved to Colorado. I'd still recommend the KO2.

One other note - both manufacturers are offering a $70 VISA/MC card right now so make sure you get your receipt and ask for the tire stickers. Cooper was a pain about that last time.

·
Registered
615 Posts
For such a small price difference I might try the BFG's. But when I priced them 2 years ago for my truck I got four A/T3's for under $500 after the rebate and the BFG's were going be closer to $1000.

I bought five 265/70/17's for my Wrangler for just over $600 a year later when the BFG's were going to be over $1200. These are all OTD prices.

At those prices there is no way the BFG's are that much better.

Overall I've been VERY pleased with my choice. I got over 50,000 miles from my last 2 sets of Coopers and expect the same with these. On road performance has been great and they have done surprisingly well in mud.

In December I was bear hunting on National Forest land. It was before dawn and had been raining all night. The roads had been through several freeze/thaw cycles which had really loosened up the mud. I turned off a maintained road onto one that was not maintained and immediately ran into about 50 yards of very slick, deep mud. If I had seen it in time I'd not have traveled down that road in a wilderness area by myself, but I was already past the point of no return.

There was a slight incline with an "S" curve to negotiate before I got on solid ground. When I started losing momentum I gave it just enough gas to sling the mud out of the tires and picked up speed. I spun all 4 wheels the entire 50 yards, but the mud slung out enough to keep me moving. coming out later was much less dramatic since gravity was on my side and it had dried a bit later in the day. But the Coopers got the job done as well as anything short of a true mud tire. And much better than I expected.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cooper A/T3's all the way!

I've recent purchased a factory size (255/75R17) set of Cooper's Discoverer A/T3 for my 2011 Jeep Wrangler and I couldn't be happier. Nice tread pattern, good performace off the pavement and nice manners on pavment too. They do well in rain and snow so long as you keep in mind that you should be driving as if you're in rain and snow. I'd reccomend these to anyone looking for a very nice replacment all terrain or LT tire. I'll be buying another set when mine wear out.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
That is not an apples-to-apples comparison. The ST Maxx is much closer to KO2 than the A/T3.

If the KO2 is anything like the KO it will match or outlast the A/T3 even though the KO2 has a more aggressive tread. The A/T3 is probably quieter.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
If you're strapped, get the AT3. If not, get the KO2. I love my KO2's. I do have the AT3 on my work truck and they're nice.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're strapped, get the AT3. If not, get the KO2. I love my KO2's. I do have the AT3 on my work truck and they're nice.
i'm not strapped, i'm just thinking the AT3s will be better on the (wet) roads i mostly drive. i do think the KO2s will certainly look better.

anyone have thoughts on the general grabber AT2?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think At3 could be a better all around street/off road tire, I just like the sidewall srenght of the ko2 and the square, bigger than it really is look.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm on my second set of the Coopers having just had 265/70/17's put on my Wrangler. The first set I had installed in a 4x4 Silverado some years ago. Right after I had them installed we had a nasty ice storm here than knocked a tree down across the road at a friends house. Went over there to help him cut it up and I had to go out into a field to get around the tree. I thought the field would be completely frozen over, but as I got halfway, my truck broke through the snow and ice crust into the mud below. I stood on the gas and the tires pulled me right through and around. When I first felt the truck sink I knew for sure that I was stuck good, but the AT3's pulled great for an A/T tire!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts