Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back and forth on these but need something a bit better in the winter as have ProComp 35 MT 2's on currently. Also thinking of going down to 33's even tho I have 4.88's. Do hardly any highway so kinda want to see how she goes with 33's and get a second set of rims for easy swap come Spring. Think either one of these tires should be good but any thoughts let me know

·
Registered
884 Posts
I just replaced a set of ST/Maxx on a non-jeep 4x4 I own. I got almost 40,000 trouble free miles from them, much of it offroad in places like Black Rock Desert, Death Valley, the Sierra Nevada and Cascade mountain ranges, Moab, etc.

I don't know anyone who has received that kind of mileage with Duratracs. Also, the ST/Maxx has tough 3-ply sidewalls. Many sizes of the Duratrac only have 2-ply sidewalls.

I debated between the two before I purchased the Coopers. I do not regret my decision.

·
Super Moderator
6,902 Posts
30k on my duratracs and have about half tread life left. I liked them so much I bought a set for my tahoe. quiet yet aggressive for an AT and great traction in winter conditions.

what trans do you have?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I run a set of ST/Maxx in 315/70-17 and have run them in 285/75-17 has well and excellent tires. I also run a second set of tires Falken at3w in 255/80-17 which work out to 33's and they are very nice as well and via tirebuyer.com can be picked up for a great price. I live in Montana so get lots of winter driving and I think the Falkens are going to do really well in the snow.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have auto trans. Keeping the mud tires for Spring(mud season) Summer then this new set for fall winter. Although not much wheeling in winter due to salty roads. Jeep is a rust free Southern girl so want to keep her clean. So far no local tires dealers around me can get either in 33's unless I travel 90 mins to a Burlington shop. Might just order online but do like to try to give the local shops biz when I can

·
Registered
130 Posts
30k on my duratracs and have about half tread life left. I liked them so much I bought a set for my tahoe. quiet yet aggressive for an AT and great traction in winter conditions.

what trans do you have?

Duratracs are rated for 50k miles.

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
For what it's worth, Duratracs are the best winter tire I have every owned. They grip on snow-covered roads, pull through deep snow and even perform on ice. Drawbacks are the weak sidewall and incredibly poor mud traction.

I ran mine for 85,000 miles. At 80,000, they still had 11/32 tread but the ride became so rough that I hated driving. Replaced with BFG K02s.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
they run Dura's on our P/U's at work (guys beat the crap out of um), they last and handle Ohio winter roads well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put 255/85/16 ST/Maxx tires on my 06 LJ a few months ago. If they wear as good as the AT3s I replaced, I will be a happy camper.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts