Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Cooper st maxx

Not seeing alot on jku's in my search. Who has these and How do they ride on a jku. how are they off road. Seen lots of reviews on full size trucks and seem to get great reviews.

Any feed back. How is the E rating ride on the road. Mine is a 100% dd (mall crawler). Go do trails about every 3 or 4 months. nothing too rough.

Also looking at:
Cooper stt
Goodyear duratracs.

But like the st maxx look.

Thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
I was looking into Copper Stt's for a while but availability was somewhat lacking so Iended up with Nitto's! Did read some good things about the Stt's!

·
Registered
160 Posts
well my 33" BFG MT's finally got a little to long in the tooth for comfort and with winter on it's way up here I didn't want to chance it on the Rubi this year... I have to say that the old Mt's sure taught you how to drive... after reading a great deal of information on the internet I decided that we all have some favorite's... I am a MT fan even for winters up here in Canuckistan... but with having to commute more then double the hwy time now I wanted something a little more stable and I am doing more blacktop and gravel then muck so it was a real toss up between the GY DuraTrac's and the Cooper St Maxx...and the winner is - Cooper ST Maxx! I really think I made the right decision - I love the ride and feel of the tires and they look great. I can't get over how quiet they are - again coming from a MT. I just finished registering the tires online and checking the lug nuts torque - 120lbs is in the service manual spec.

*internet pic*
Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX | RoadTraveler.net

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have these tires on my Tacoma and I love them. After experiencing some bounce on the highway, I checked my psi and the store where I bought them had aired them up to 40psi. I aired them down and have been extremely happy with them. I do a considerable amount of offroad on unforgiving terrain (coal strip mines) and they have worked well.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi

My dealer did not have centrum rings?? so they could not fit my black Rock rims and ST maxx tire studded on my wrangler.

So I have not tried them yet.

Here they tried to put them on the front, Black Rock Yuma 908B and Cooper st maxx 265/70/17

So this time they could only put on the spare

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
My owners manual lists 95 ft lbs as the torque spec for the wheel nuts? :confused:

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
ST Maxx runs big for it's size. And they are HEAVY tires. But they are awesome.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
ST Maxx runs big for it's size. And they are HEAVY tires. But they are awesome.
Cooper told me the ST Maxx in size 285/70-17 "only" weighs 60 lbs. LOL

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The 285/75-16 goes about 67 lbs...so I'm betting the 285/70-17 is closer to 64 lbs. But...that's the price you pay for a tire that's tougher than a box of roofing nails.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How would these do as "all year" tires? How are they in the snow? Gravel & wet rocks? Will they burn off quickly in summer driving?

·
Registered
160 Posts
How would these do as "all year" tires? How are they in the snow? Gravel & wet rocks? Will they burn off quickly in summer driving?
well I am finally running in snow and ice - they track extremely well, are sure footed and deliver in the snow, pretty decent on ice - although not a dedicated ice snow tire - so over I am really digging this tire I am extremely pleased with them, well done Cooper Tires!

·
Registered
160 Posts
well my 33" BFG MT's finally got a little to long in the tooth for comfort and with winter on it's way up here I didn't want to chance it on the Rubi this year... I have to say that the old Mt's sure taught you how to drive... after reading a great deal of information on the internet I decided that we all have some favorite's... I am a MT fan even for winters up here in Canuckistan... but with having to commute more then double the hwy time now I wanted something a little more stable and I am doing more blacktop and gravel then muck so it was a real toss up between the GY DuraTrac's and the Cooper St Maxx...and the winner is - Cooper ST Maxx! I really think I made the right decision - I love the ride and feel of the tires and they look great. I can't get over how quiet they are - again coming from a MT. I just finished registering the tires online and checking the lug nuts torque - 120lbs is in the service manual spec.

**Image: Copyright 2012 RoadTraveler.net/J. Langan*
Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX | RoadTraveler.net

*Image: Copyright 2012 RoadTraveler.net/J. Langan*

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi

I put the st maxx 265/70/17 on without centrumrings and no wobble.

I feel no powerloss, I have 2012 with pentastar engine.

I did not notice any hard ride, they are E-type and I have the lighter 2 door. Maybe a little bit harder?

Mine are studded and make some small hum, no problem.

As I have not any tpms sensors in them the Jeep make a ping everytime I start the engine

Looks so good and I am happy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
centrum rings

Sorry I realize this post is a couple of years old. Im thinking of getting some cooper st maxx tires in 275 70 17 so in my researching I came across this post. It mentions centrum rings in a couple of different places. I googled that term and came up with nothing, does anyone know what they are? Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My Cooper ST's are due for replacement. I have over 60,000 mostly road/gravel miles on them. I have really enjoyed the ST's and Cooper. I have had a few different brands of tires on her as I have over 260,000 miles on my ole girl. I will be fitting a set of the Cooper ST Maxx tires in 32X10.5X15 load range "C" on my LJ in August, as the local dealer has a good sale every year on Coopers ( buy 3, get 4th free ). Lookin forward to them.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I just got my new Rubicon with 285/70-17 Cooper ST Maxx with Level 8 Tracker Pro wheels (and a 2" Mopar lift). Rides smoother and quieter than my stock 2013 JKU Sahara did, so far

·
Registered
168 Posts
I love mine! I'm running 35 12.50's and they are not E rates they are D rated. Run about 28-32 lbs of air and the ride 85% of the time is barely different than on the stockers. Of course rougher roads and potholes are noticed a lil bit more with wider tires so some change in ride is expected. Almost no road noise and they have done well in for me in snow ice mud and sand. I haven't made any trail rides to see how they do yet but have a few treks planned coming in the spring so I guess I'll see. I'd buy them again when these wear out.... Only maybe in 37's! Lol!!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I have the 315/70R 17 S/T Maxx.
Overall really like them. I've noticed a couple of things, that are pretty minor in my personal opinion, but something to consider.

1). When cold they flat spot (currently running 32 psi). Takes about an eighth mile to get them "round".
2). They cut, and chip (lightly), on rocks.
3). Noise level seems very similar to the KMs I took off.

This may be only noticeable on the larger sizes with bigger sidewalls, as I've not read any complaints like this on the smaller sizes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts