Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

141 - 160 of 230 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Nice build! :D How are you liking those Falcon shocks?

I wish I was as mechanically inclined as you. Seems like you can fix anything yourself! Makes me jealous :D
The Falcons are doing fine. They feel about the same as the Bilsteins I had before, but allow fuller flex from my lift. And I suppose they won't overheat as much off road (I haven't checked)

As for my skills, they're mostly bolt-on kinda stuff. I can't weld and won't tinker with diff gears or brakes - too much risk for too little savings, let some guy with more experience do it.
Mechanical skills are easy to acquire, it helps if one has a friend/relative as mentor, but the Internet is a great go-to resource! And knowing how to fix/mod one's Jeep helps one understand how it really works; worthwhile investment.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
New shoes are on! Finally made it to "real" 35's, though they measure just under 34 under load - my Jeep is a porker!

They had a hard time balancing them, and there is still a shimmy; will have to rotate them and play with pressures. The Toyo 34's were easier to balance but were too heavy.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Re-seated a rear spring today as the Jeep leaned noticeably to the right.
It still leans a little bit, so we'll have to keep investigating.

Also found out my rear bump stops are rotting away, gotta buy new ones.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #145

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #146

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Our club's last ride of the season turned into a rescue operation.

We found a Toyota 4Runner with its front end thoroughly buried in silty mud blocking the trail.

As luck would have it, just as we're trying to find out how to circumvent it (not easily) the owner comes walking up the trail carrying an arborist's rigging rope and a come along!

There was NO WAY he was going to pull that rig out of that hole with a come along! Only 1" of his front tires (33's) stuck out of the mud. :crazy:

The guy had been drinking on the trail the night before with some buddies who left him there when he got stuck without any recovery equipment. He had to walk several miles home then back the following day. He even left his rifle and his chainsaw in the truck overnight.

We first tried to do an angle pull using two winches, and 8k and a 9.5k:

We pulled him about a foot but no more!

I then proposed we do a double line pull for the 9.5k winch; so now we're pulling close to 27,000 Lbs! It's a good think I carry 3 snatch blocks in my Jeep. The truck had no recovery point besides the tow bar. I thought we were going to rip the whole rear subframe out of that 4Runner, but out it came out of the mud. :)

Another 20 minutes to get his mud-soaked engine running (reinstall the power steering belt, reconnect his intake, replace a fuel pump fuse and a jumpstart) and we got him started. He followed us back out of the woods.

That was a good opportunity to teach the less experienced club members how to rig a complex pull safely.

Lessons learned, I hope:
  • Don't drink on the trail (or on the road)
  • Don't wheel alone or with unreliable buddies
  • Have recovery equipment and know how to use it
  • Wheel with a proper rig, like say, a Jeep!
  • Never leave a ****ing firearm unattended in your truck overnight!
My Jeep got nice and muddy on that ride. :happyyes:

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Crappy day today. Found out my wipers didn't work, and I have to drive 300 miles from Vermont to Conn tomorrow. The Jeep has been sitting idle for over a week and we had several thaw/freeze cycles. The wiper motor and linkage were completely encased in ice and snow. And one of the linkages got disconnected when I turned on the wipers.

I had to work fast as it was 20F and snowing and the temp was dropping steadily (supposed to be -4F by morning)

Took about an hour, nothing too complicated but had to chip a lot of ice away without breaking anything. My mother in law wants us to go visit her in Florida, that sounds like a good idea right now.

The mess I found:

After cleanup. You can see the disconnected linkage sticking up. Luckily the Jeep is basically a big erector set and everything can be taken apart and reassembled quite easily:

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Put on some LED reverse light bulbs. Hopefully will improve things until I buy full LED tail lights and a rear bumper with 4” lights.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Spring maintenance. Engine, transmission and transfer case oil changes those last few weekends, and today finished a full coolant flush.

My heater is working at bit better, but not perfect, despite the reverse flush. I'll plan on reversing the heater core hoses. Temp control is really good, on the highway at 70+ temps stay between 204 and 206, and with spirited driving up and down hills between 200 and 215 or so (it's 41F outside.) And at least I know what's really in my engine (the stuff that came out was suspiciously orange, it's supposed to be pink OAT)

Full writeup here.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Finally got rid of the Rubi rails!

I had to take the ACE rock sliders off to recondition them, and since I have metal flares I didn't need protection near the wheel wells anymore. I also didn't need that extra 52 Lbs.

The ACE rails needed some TLC:

Bedlined the pinch seal:

The new look:

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
MORryde HD tailgate hinges, reinforcement and tire carrier.

Some rust to deal with under the old hinges (no paint there!)

Had to trim the AEV corner armor with an angle grinder to accommodate the bigger hinges:

The final product (will have to adjust the brake light, and I also need some new rubber bumpers)

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
On-board air's going in. Now I have to decide how to wire it, whether to get a SPOD or similar, and where to install an air line to an outside fitting.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
So I went for the ApolloIntech, 6-switch Pro model. Not a bad deal at $190.

Good product, easy installation, about 3 hours taking my time and that includes removing and remounting the compressor. All that remains is connecting the compressor, I'll trim and reuse the ARB harness for that purpose tomorrow.

Fishing for wire as I have a manual transmission and can't use the more common passage:

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Leave it to me to organize the club's first ride of the season on a rainy day before all the snow has melted in Vermont.

A buddy and his green '07 Sahara showed up.

Unfortunately the trails still had some spots with deep snow, compacted by snowmobiles but melting from below, and we kept getting stuck or high-centered.

Me seeking an alternate line after getting stuck really bad:

Just as we decided we had enough, my friend grenaded his front D30 so we had to do some trailside work, then I had to help him out as with no lockers he was a 1-wheel-driver...

We both had all the needed tools and he's done it before, so it only took 25 minutes, in the snow and the rain.

Overall not a fun day but good recovery and repair practice.

Luckily for my buddy he's got a D44 at home ready to gear and install; he's on 35's with a front 30 and 3.21's, not an ideal combo.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Added a Warn power interrupt kit to control power to the winch via my ApolloIntech system. Now there's only power going to the front bumper when needed.

141 - 160 of 230 Posts