Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Snap On Tools 18 volt cordless grease gun. Expensive, but this is the way to grease something. It's a little overkill but it works so much easier. Anyone else use this type of grease gun? I know there are a bunch of other good brands out there. Lincoln and Milwaukee come to mind. If you haven't used one before you might look into it. Much worth it.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have a lincoln AND Milwaukee at work with 4 batteries each. LOVE them! I tend to lean toward the Milwaukee to being a little more lightweight even though the gun itself is a bit bigger.

Also.. the Lincoln is 18V and the Milwaukee is only the M12.... it really doesn't make a difference to the extended use of them either. They are both GREAT.

They save soooo much time when you have 100 zerks on one machine.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I have a Lincoln and just love it.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
jherrington said:
Because pumping in grease by hand is so difficult.
If you have never had to do 100 zerks.... You haven't got a clue on the awesomeness of electric grease guns.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
TnDz TJ said:
If you have never had to do 100 zerks.... You haven't got a clue on the awesomeness of electric grease guns.
Yea when you only do it every 3000 miles the hand pump isn't bad. Try greasing every day. I love the electric.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
What on earth are you doing with 100 zerks?
LOL... the large equipment I work on often has as little as 20 and as many as 100 zerks. Gear reduction boxes, drivelines, conveyors, AC/DC motors up to 500 HP, gear pumps, etc.....

When we do our inspections/PM's on equipment, every joint, coupler, bearing housings, spindles, etc get inspected, adjusted and lubricated as required.

Never a dull day....:thumb:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
I gave up on my hand pump grease gun sometime before my TJ hit its peak of something like 29 (yes) zerk fittings. My powered grease gun needs an air hose but for a lot of zerks, it's nice to have it powered. For a stock TJ with its 7 stock zerks? Nah, but it's easy to get a lot of zerks even on a TJ once you start installing aftermarket steering kits, control arms, driveshafts, driveshafts, greasable u-joints, etc.. At least I stopped using greasable driveshaft u-joints... that cut the zerk count by 6. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I really like my Lincoln and use it on my rubi along with back hoe and dozer. try a back hoe with a hand pump. I have !

·
Registered
268 Posts
We have a battery one at work and also a air one for the front end loader and such, we grease everything in the plant once a month and it does come in handy but when i work on certain things i prefer the hand one because we get plugged up zerks and such. some of the spots we have to lube are up about 80 ft or so on ladders so it depends on how i am feeling.. but for my jeep the hand one isnt to bad some times as long as it doesnt have the full leaver.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
JeepWrangler4x4 said:
lol thats nothing for a factory
You got that right! Our plant manufactures polyethylene pipe from 1/2" to 6ft in dia. On 14 production lines

1 - 19 of 19 Posts