Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 183 Posts

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I am gona finish readed through, but what I meant was, my tires hit before, but with my BL I have more room for uptravel. I was contemplating how much I can reduce my bump stops to take advantage of that additional room. not that the springs/shocks moved. :)

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Yes, I do and understood most of that before hand to a degree but you made it slightly more clear ;)

and yes indy, but that clearance is only useable if you arent hitting stuff or binding coils or blowing shocks.

Unlimited, I am running the 3 inch zone lift with 33s. so I was hitting into tub, aka the #4, because of tires too large for lift. I had .75 spacers up front, which helped some. mostly for leveling. I added the BL so I dont hit my fenders or anything anymore. But I believe I will still have some extra useable room. So I am trying to figure how this all plays out. I have had no issues with my set up, I think it is better off left alone. also I believe that my zone lift didnt come with rear bump stop extensions but I may just be forgeting when I installed them.

can I look up zones shock compressed size online and compare?

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I'm sure someone has it on the Wx3(world wide web) lol. honestly I am not gona worry about it til I know if I need more flex and how it all works etc. I just wanted to personally understand it better.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I'm sure someone has it on the Wx3(world wide web) lol. honestly I am not gona worry about it til I know if I need more flex and how it all works etc. I just wanted to personally understand it better.
people seem to think bumpstops are only for off-road or something. they're definitely not. they're required on the street too...thats why people destory shocks and shock mounts...repeated pounding. every time you hit a pothole, dip, speed bump, carry passengers or cargo in the back, etc you're using the bumpstops.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Not if you drive gentle like I do all of the time... never!

HAHAHAHA ;)

I just meant I want to get the most flex out of my rig (uptravel) as possible without damaging anything. I know I use my bumps alot :)

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
Unlimited always makes me feel like a dumb dumb when he starts talking bump stops and suspension travel...lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
So still awaiting everything to show up but trying to get everything here for the install.

I'm going with Bilstein5100 shocks, OME 2.5 HD coils, 1.25" JKS body lift & 1' MML, stock trackbar for now just will relocate it.

If stock front compressed is 13.5 (Bilsteins are 24/14.88) = 1.38" difference
If stock rear compressed is 12.5 (Bilsteins are 22.44/13.98) = 1.48" difference

Then I go with 1" bumpstops (front) & 2" bumpstops (rear)??

I cant trust these shops around me, I found out half recommend me to get something wroong or bad advice.

Thanks, just want to order these bumpstops as Ive ordered everything else already.

Unlimited...please dont bash me:hide:

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Unlimited...please dont bash me:hide:
why would I "bash" you????

If stock front compressed is 13.5 (Bilsteins are 24/14.88) = 1.38" difference
If stock rear compressed is 12.5 (Bilsteins are 22.44/13.98) = 1.48" difference

Then I go with 1" bumpstops (front) & 2" bumpstops (rear)??
ok, let's think about this.

1.38" difference
and
1.48" difference.

The difference numbers are your hypothetical minimum bumpstop extension requirements. You may actually need more....thats why you do the full cycle tests, full bump, full flex, full droop, etc.

So...how do you come up with 1" front and 2" rear from those numbers?

You can always buy/make/fabricate/build 3"+ bumpstop extensions, then cut them down to whatever size you end up needing, after thoroughly testing the suspension. I like Performance Accessories body lift pucks because they are cheap and easy.

Example:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jk-lift-install-and-suspension-lessons-learned-237038.html

·
Registered
217 Posts
why would I "bash" you????

ok, let's think about this.

1.38" difference
and
1.48" difference.

The difference numbers are your hypothetical minimum bumpstop extension requirements. You may actually need more....thats why you do the full cycle tests, full bump, full flex, full droop, etc.

So...how do you come up with 1" front and 2" rear from those numbers?

You can always buy/make/fabricate/build 3"+ bumpstop extensions, then cut them down to whatever size you end up needing, after thoroughly testing the suspension. I like Performance Accessories body lift pucks because they are cheap and easy.

Example:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jk-lift-install-and-suspension-lessons-learned-237038.html
Thanks for the post. I thought Ive read all the suspension, bumpstop posts I could find and obviously I mixed up my numbers.

I'll read through the jk post you linked.

I just dont want to be sitting here with all the parts minus the bumpstops knowing that i only have 2 days this month that help is available to install the lift. Besides I already sold the wheels/tires currently on my jeep and he needs them by memorial day.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
start w/ 2 inches an cut them down as low as 1.5, basically. as mentioned, check everything else first. If you can't alter your first instance of interference, that will be the point that dictates your bumpstop requirement, whether it be your shocks, fender interference, steering/track bar interference, or coil bind etc. Cycle, measure, cut bumpstops. Tada! :thumb:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ok...so Im beating my head against a desk right now. Im so overwhelmed with things to do & all this new jeep information.

OME/bilstein lift, 1.25 bl, 1" mml went on this weekend fine. Guy who installed it insists I wont need extended bumpstops for it but I was with him the entire time learning as he did things. But he never put it at full bump to check this. I dont want to question this guy because he knows his jeeps and works at a jeep dealership as mechanic. But why is he telling me this? After all my reading I know that cant be the case.

Also if it isnt...well then i guess I need to figure out how to remove my new coils and properly get it to fullbump. Remember...Ive never had or messed with a vehicle with coils. This is all new to me. Ive confused myself btwn 2 forums as to where Ive read what. I just want to get this taken care of.

To top it off Im not allowed per my condo rules to use jacks or stands or anything of that nature. If this was a quick deal maybe I can get it done but after reading below thread, this is over my head.

Using the search feature from my phone on the forum doesnt work worth a darn.

But Im going to reread this...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/correct-bumpstop-length-70047.html

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
OME/bilstein lift, 1.25 bl, 1" mml went on this weekend fine. Guy who installed it insists I wont need extended bumpstops for it but I was with him the entire time learning as he did things. But he never put it at full bump to check this. I dont want to question this guy because he knows his jeeps and works at a jeep dealership as mechanic. But why is he telling me this? After all my reading I know that cant be the case.
doesn't sound like he actually knows as much about suspension as he, or you, think he does.

Also if it isnt...well then i guess I need to figure out how to remove my new coils and properly get it to fullbump. Remember...Ive never had or messed with a vehicle with coils. This is all new to me. Ive confused myself btwn 2 forums as to where Ive read what. I just want to get this taken care of.
not that hard. just time consuming. once you sit and think about it for a while, it becomes more clear.

To top it off Im not allowed per my condo rules to use jacks or stands or anything of that nature. If this was a quick deal maybe I can get it done but after reading below thread, this is over my head.
it helps to be a good tenant, and friends with the association board members, and make sure you put everything back together & drive-able by nightfall.

Using the search feature from my phone on the forum doesnt work worth a darn.
so use a damn computer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks. I dont have access to a computer until I get home each day at 8pm so 99% of my posts are via phone. My company blocks every website but 2.

I'll prob bother my buddy to use his driveway to do this even if hes not home

21 - 40 of 183 Posts