Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, so I just installed a 2.5RE lift on a 2dr but I'm only running 275/65/16(31.6") tires. When I'm driving over a big hole, my rear bottoms out. I was assuming that's a bump stop problem considering I have such small tires. Yay/nay?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Does anyone know the size of the stock bump stops?

·
Registered
677 Posts
When I put my lift on, I had to pull out my old bump stops and they were falling apart. Not even worth putting back in. It came with a 2" extension and i was supposed to put the stock bump stops back on.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yea, the jounce bumper. Ive always heard them called bump stops.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The answer to the question you didn't quite ask is that you should use stock jounces. Then you need to either move the steel cup down the appropriate amount or you need to add a puck/spacer to the lower spring pad inside the coil. :)

Steel cup against the lower pad is what you care about. The jounce is just a shock absorber.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yea yea.... So, what is the size of the stock jounce? The kit came with the 2" extension for the metal cup. I just threw out the old jounce

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I don't know. Here's the part number for the stock jounces. Google it and buy four of them.

52087636AC

·
Registered
677 Posts
That will work. Thanks!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
A lot of good information here, never realized how much went into figuring out the bumpstop lengths. After reading all of this its clear that every rig is different but I'm just looking for a starting point.

Long story short I totaled my last TJ and was able to salvage some of the parts. The lift will be comprised of 3.5" Rancho Springs, Rancho LCA's, JKS Quick Disconnects.

I've bought the following: MC Front/Rear Track Bars, Rear Sway Liinks.
Bilstein 5100 Front Compressed: 14.98" and rear 15.41". I read earlier someone else had a similar shock combo.

Also planning on extended brake lines and a T Case drop kit.

Tires will be 33" Goodyear Duratracs.

06 TJ 4.0/6 Speed.

From reading it seems a good starting point would be 2" up front and 3.5" in the back? I want to get something in there while were putting in the lift. Are the Zone pucks still best bang for your buck?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Long story short I totaled my last TJ and was able to salvage some of the parts. The lift will be comprised of 3.5" Rancho Springs, Rancho LCA's, JKS Quick Disconnects.

From reading it seems a good starting point would be 2" up front and 3.5" in the back? I want to get something in there while were putting in the lift. Are the Zone pucks still best bang for your buck?

Thanks
Think closely about what you're saying.

At 3.5" lift, with 3.5" bumpstop extension in the back, you're back at stock uptravel.

Do you really want to add a 3.5" lift to have similar travel to a bone stock Jeep? Most consider adding travel to be one of main goals of a lift. You might consider a different shock with better length....

·
Registered
445 Posts
I thought I had a decent grasp on it after reading through guess not, Those were the shocks that were recommended for a 3.5-4" lift. Are you saying the shocks are too short?

Ill have to read through again.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I thought I had a decent grasp on it after reading through guess not, Those were the shocks that were recommended for a 3.5-4" lift. Are you saying the shocks are too short?

Ill have to read through again.
No. Think about what I said the last post.

You propose 3.5" of lift, and adding 3.5" of bumpstop extension (up-travel limitation).

If one central purpose of a lift is to gain travel in both directions (up and down), what do you gain by your proposal?

141 - 160 of 183 Posts