Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 TJ SE 2.5L with no A/C and is stick... I am currently having a few problems:
*First problem is that my my fan speed only works on high and every once in a while it'll work on one or two of the other speeds... I figured it'll probably be the Blower Resister, I heard that this is a common problem???
*Second problem is that my vent selector only works while on defrost or on the mid & foot position... Maybe the actual Control Switch???
*The last problem is that every once in a while, typically when we have bad weather(ie-rain or snow) I'll notice wet spots on the carpet of the passenger side front floor board, I know it's not a heater-core leak due to not smelling any anti-freeze... Figuring maybe the water is coming in from the fresh-air-intake up by the windshield???

Thanks to all those who can help, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
892 Posts
first one could be the resistor, but sounds more like a bad connection on the actual switch

second one if it only works on defrost, could be a vacuum leak. can you hear air being sucked out when you switch between the vents?
you can take off the driver side knee panel see the actuators if they working properly.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/problem-with-vents-69979.html

third, its the vent under the windshield cowl thats allowing water to get in.
I would put some sealant around the vent like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you jasonwrangler. I don't think its a vacume leak for the 2nd problem though, because it does work for the front vents only and the selection of both the front vents and the floor vents. someone else told me that it could be the actual switch but I wanted to double tap on here because you all know Jeeps well!
and I'll definitely give the other 2 a shot...

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Mine has the same problem. Changed the switch...problem continues. Mines been doing that off and on since 2000 so pretty used to it but still want it fixed. Thanks for the thread.

·
Registered
892 Posts
thank you jasonwrangler. I don't think its a vacume leak for the 2nd problem though, because it does work for the front vents only and the selection of both the front vents and the floor vents. someone else told me that it could be the actual switch but I wanted to double tap on here because you all know Jeeps well!
and I'll definitely give the other 2 a shot...
oh I thought you meant it only works at defrost.
if you not getting defrost, still read the link I posted, it tells you how to replace the broken defrost lever, which is how I lost my defrost and how I fixed it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I did the same fix for "third" that Jasonwrangler did, it helped but not completely. If you look at the lower center of Jason's picture there is a rubber inset that's supposed to drain rain water that comes in the vents in front of the windshield but mine got clogged with dirt and leaves, let water pool in that cavity shown in Jason's picture and overrun through the fresh air vent into the passenger's floor boards. And I had enough water that it ran into the back floor boards. I pushed a yard stick down that rubber drain tube several years ago and haven't had any leakage since, even though I probably ought to do it again before the problem returns.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The third problem is the small drain for the hood cowl vent is clogged with mud. It's under the hood up against the firewall and looks like a funnel. Just pull it off, clean it out, problem solved!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I did the same fix for "third" that Jasonwrangler did, it helped but not completely. If you look at the lower center of Jason's picture there is a rubber inset that's supposed to drain rain water that comes in the vents in front of the windshield but mine got clogged with dirt and leaves, let water pool in that cavity shown in Jason's picture and overrun through the fresh air vent into the passenger's floor boards. And I had enough water that it ran into the back floor boards. I pushed a yard stick down that rubber drain tube several years ago and haven't had any leakage since, even though I probably ought to do it again before the problem returns.
^^^X2....You shouldn't have to seal anything, as the water build up because the drain is plugged then sloshes into the fresh air vents The only way to stop it is to clear the drain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts