Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my dad and I installed a winch on my Jeep and I was worried about the connection to the battery. I've read mixed reviews as to how to wire the winch to the battery. I tested the winch the way it's wired and it works perfectly.

I covered my wires in another rubber hose and fed it through the grill and along side the fuse box. I'm not using a fuse or a relay. I've heard not to wire directly to the side of the terminal because the winch draws too much. I wanted to replace the terminals with the marine wing nuts but I don't know how to replace the terminals and the guy at Autozone said not to do that.

My question is, is the method I'm using safe in the long run? I don't want to short the connection and cause a fire, which is my fear. Thanks.
IMG_0597.JPG

·
Knows a couple things...
49,412 Posts
The side posts on the Optima batteries are not up to winching but your Duralast battery should be ok. The way you have yours connected now is also ok, that's how most Jeepers connect their winches since few batteries have side posts. I do prefer side posts though, mine are connected to the side posts of my Diehard Platinum 3478-DT battery. I'd only avoid the Optima's side posts.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The side posts on the Optima batteries are not up to winching but your Duralast battery should be ok. The way you have yours connected now is also ok, that's how most Jeepers connect their winches since few batteries have side posts. I do prefer side posts though, mine are connected to the side posts of my Diehard Platinum 3478-DT battery. I'd only avoid the Optima's side posts.
Thanks for the reassurance. If I were to hook up a light bar, would I connect it in the same place? I don't know anything about electrical stuff. I just don't want to try and cut wires for a wing nut terminal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts