Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the green tarnish on a starter cable cause a 4.0 to lose connection to the battery?

I've been trying to figure out why sometimes it acts like there's not even a battery connected. With warmer weather here I can start crawling around under it again and noticed the brass end was green. The battery is dead right now, I think the 3 weeks of unseasonably cold weather got it. I have to replace it before I can check to make sure it wasn't just death throws from that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try even just replacing the battery terminals. I had issues with the radio popping and dash flickering and that was the cause.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed terminal ends 1st thing I did. I put a new battery on it today and drove it to town. Didn't give me any trouble at all but I'm still gonna change out all the cabling just to be safe.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Old time mechanic trick to clean corrosion off battery terminals, cables, etc., is mix up a solution of water and baking soda. I usually put maybe a table spoon of baking soda in an empty 16 oz plastic water or soft drink bottle. Shake it good and pour mixture over corroded areas. It will fizz and foam. Let it sit a minute or so, then thorougly rinse off with garden hose. May need to touch up a little with a small wire brush but terminals will be clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts