Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New member here. Bought a new 2011 JK (my fourth Wrangler in 15 years), put aftermarket bumpers, rock guards, and a Smitty winch on. I am now coating everything I can get to underneath (frame, etc.) with black gloss Rustoleum spray paint. Anyone ever done this before, or have other experiences? I've researched the web for techniques and products, and liked the inexpensive Rustoleum approach the best. I have to say I don't like how the body is put together underneath compared to the TJ. Also am really missing my low end power inline six. But I'm getting used to the higher revving v6. Anyway I digress. Corrosion prevention on the JK . . .

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
PAVarminter said:
Hello all,

New member here. Bought a new 2011 JK (my fourth Wrangler in 15 years), put aftermarket bumpers, rock guards, and a Smitty winch on. I am now coating everything I can get to underneath (frame, etc.) with black gloss Rustoleum spray paint. Anyone ever done this before, or have other experiences? I've researched the web for techniques and products, and liked the inexpensive Rustoleum approach the best. I have to say I don't like how the body is put together underneath compared to the TJ. Also am really missing my low end power inline six. But I'm getting used to the higher revving v6. Anyway I digress. Corrosion prevention on the JK . . .
Looking into the same.

Welcome :)

And ya-- took some time to get used to the 3.8 for sure.
6 speed w/4.10 learned to get out of 1st asap-2nd and go. I would try to punch it in first gear, revs would shoot to 4000 and a prius would be stuck to my a** end. Engines got plenty power, but unlike the 4.0 it's not there at idle.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D--Oh yes itis Ken--

Looking into the same.

Welcome :)

And ya-- took some time to get used to the 3.8 for sure.
6 speed w/4.10 learned to get out of 1st asap-2nd and go. I would try to punch it in first gear, revs would shoot to 4000 and a prius would be stuck to my a** end. Engines got plenty power, but unlike the 4.0 it's not there at idle.
You just need the right gears, then idle has "PlentyPower"

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Hello all,

Eureka Fluid Film works very well, as with any undercoating it has to be touched up. It is harmless to plastic and rubber and a little easier and neater to apply than paint.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the thread going a bit off camber is my fault, I had to spew a bit on the v6. Anyway, I'm already commit on the Rustoleum and hope to have the bulk of it done today. My new JK with 650 miles on it has rust, and I mean flaking, rising RUST, already on the axle, bell housing, around the shocks, and started on the frame. I took off the rock guard at the transmission and gave it a good double coat last night. I was going to unbolt the metal plate guards around the gas tank, but feeling up under where the gas tank meets the tank itself it felt pretty tight, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew by dismantling heavy metal parts with questionable connections underneath. Anyway, I may take a few before and after pics today and put them up, for reference. The Rustoleum idea came from a long forgotten website where a guy bought a new pickup, absolutely coated the entire chassis and frame underneath, I mean EVERYTHING, wires, etc. using a dozen cans of black gloss Rustoleum, spraying it until it just dripped off. He claims he has gone 15 years without corrosion except of course where it was scraped by rocks, and says it still looks good. So, I'm giving it a try, will let you see what I've done here later.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
PAVarminter said:
Well, the thread going a bit off camber is my fault, I had to spew a bit on the v6. Anyway, I'm already commit on the Rustoleum and hope to have the bulk of it done today. My new JK with 650 miles on it has rust, and I mean flaking, rising RUST, already on the axle, bell housing, around the shocks, and started on the frame. I took off the rock guard at the transmission and gave it a good double coat last night. I was going to unbolt the metal plate guards around the gas tank, but feeling up under where the gas tank meets the tank itself it felt pretty tight, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew by dismantling heavy metal parts with questionable connections underneath. Anyway, I may take a few before and after pics today and put them up, for reference. The Rustoleum idea came from a long forgotten website where a guy bought a new pickup, absolutely coated the entire chassis and frame underneath, I mean EVERYTHING, wires, etc. using a dozen cans of black gloss Rustoleum, spraying it until it just dripped off. He claims he has gone 15 years without corrosion except of course where it was scraped by rocks, and says it still looks good. So, I'm giving it a try, will let you see what I've done here later.
Apologias, but ya- you are a new member and brought up the V-6, so I rambled on a bit too about my new experiance also. Just purchased my 07 and did agree on your topic. I'm looking into doing it myself :)

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Ya never did anything wrong-thats what this whole forum (any), forum is about-

Apologias, but ya- you are a new member and brought up the V-6, so I rambled on a bit too about my new experiance also. Just purchased my 07 and did agree on your topic. I'm looking into doing it myself :)
Variance to the subject is more the NORM, than the exception--S.O.P. !

Keepyerpowderdry

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JK before 1.jpg

JK before 2.jpg

Before pics to show the rust that has already started on my 2011 JK, with 650 miles, built just this April.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I apologize for these after pics - gloss black paint with bright sunlight background makes for a lot of glare. This is one coat, after spot spraying the rust spots with the Rust Reformer (one coat only is needed).

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JeepUndercoat2011 008.jpg

JeepUndercoat2011 001.jpg

So I guess that's enough from me. This is a weekend project, with time in the evening to burn a steak and drink a beer. I recommend buying 8 cans of Rustoleum Gloss Black paint, and two cans of the Rust Reformer - twice what I have photographed here. I have to go out and buy more paint this afternoon. If you have a totally rust covered frame you will need to put more elbow grease into the prep, and will have to buy more Rust Reformer, but I'm sure the end result will be very pretty.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Just be careful of metal rusting under the paint, and finding out when its too late. Checking a few times a year is the best way to defend against that. I just did a repair job on a Ford oil pan that had what appeared to be good paint on it. A more careful look showed it was rotted under the paint. A good coat of paint on a clean, dry, properly prepared surface should help. You still have to check is all I'm saying. Good luck with your Jeep!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Demar - this is really an experiment, and I intend to let everyone know my success or failure with it, so others can learn from my experience. I'm hoping that the Rust Reformer performs as it claims. I will keep an eye out for sneaky corrosion underneath the paint and if I see it, will sand thoroughly, prime and paint again. Off to Lowe's for more paint!

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Thanks Demar - this is really an experiment, and I intend to let everyone know my success or failure with it, so others can learn from my experience. I'm hoping that the Rust Reformer performs as it claims. I will keep an eye out for sneaky corrosion underneath the paint and if I see it, will sand thoroughly, prime and paint again. Off to Lowe's for more paint!
Just keep checking on it, and you'll be fine. That's true with just about everything automotive though! :) Keep us posted! Thanks!

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Do you scrape any of the existing rust off prior to adding the reformer or do you just apply it to what ever spots are rusty?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts