Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can get these mopar flares (craiglist) but the seller doesn't know what year it is nor the color...
Cosmo blue vs hydro blue mopar fender flares..

from the picture it looks like hydro blue...

what do you think? Cosmo? Hydro?

·
Super Moderator
14,874 Posts
Definitely not Cosmos Blue...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll meet that person saturday... if it is the right blue i'm looking for and if it is in mint condition ill probably grab them to replace the black mopar ones

i personally think jeeps with color flares look better.. but its a tough call.. mine look bad az$ with black flares..but i just wish my jeep had color flares.

did jeep make black flare to cut on the retail price or was it just for the look?

i presume color flare worth more cost more to produce.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That’s NOT Cosmo Blue.....cosmos has no metallic flake....those have flake. Still for the right price I’d grab em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
i personally think jeeps with color flares look better.. but its a tough call.. mine look bad az$ with black flares..but i just wish my jeep had color flares.

did jeep make black flare to cut on the retail price or was it just for the look?

i presume color flare worth more cost more to produce.
I think colored flares look better on some Jeeps and black flares look better on others. It depends on the body color.
It is easier and cheaper to replace an unpainted flare.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea, black flares are nice too but i personnaly prefer colored ones..

i wanted a sahara but they're were too expensive and weren’t in the color i like when i was looking for jeep last summer. I was quote $200 per fender to prime and paint. So i forgot about it until i saw this guy selling the hydro blue fenders on craiglist

so i got the colored flares for $50 each..so $200 total.. not bad..
it just that i didn't know about the one time use rivets that we have to pop.
So i had to buy a riveter for plastic rivets.. and it was difficult to find locally. And i didn't want to wait for online ordering. Cost me $30 For the riveter and few plastic rivets.
it took me like 3 hours to do the swap.. not counting the search for the plastic rivets and reveter.

one of the flares had minor scratches but i was able to remove them significally.. now they are barely visible. Did a counpound on all 4.

when im about to sell the jeep, they will probably ask me what year/model.. should i just say It's a jeep willys edition? Willys/sahara? Half willys half sahara? Lol

anyway, here some before/after photos.
first you can see the factory willys with black fender flares, and no lift.. the after photos show the willys with blue fenders.. now the front grill is still black.. i'm not going to paint it yet.. and im not sure if i want it blue.. maybe later. but i will keep the wheels black because they are unique to the willys.

let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
170 Posts
More importantly, how did you get so lucky to find painted flares for such a good price in Canadian dollars? People around here are crazy with valuations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Different question....what mirrors are you using with the doors off? How do they hold up at speed?

And looks great with colored fenders!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Different question....what mirrors are you using with the doors off? How do they hold up at speed?

And looks great with colored fenders!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
got a second Mopar mirror set used (dirt cheap) then i ordered a bracket set from amazon..rugged ridge or something..
because it's mopar i see no real difference.. except maybe the angle.. when you attach mirror to the A pillow like this, you are further away from the mirror (driver side)
but for passenger side, it sucks.. you can't see shlt .. your dash will block the view (passenger side).. the passenger side is there for symmetrical look.

for wind and vibration, there is none.. its mopar..

if i could get a better bracket i would , the one i got from amazon suck.... the extended bracket sold from extrem terrain that put the mirror at the same spot is just too expensive..

one thing i hate about aftermarket parts is price and shipping.. but patience is the key.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
More importantly, how did you get so lucky to find painted flares for such a good price in Canadian dollars? People around here are crazy with valuations.
yea, the seller was actually asking $800 (like 3 months ago).. probably because nobody was interested he slowly dropped his price..

i got lucky with few parts.. last summer i bought a premium soft top In perfect shape for $120.. with all the accessories.. The premium soft top has a black thick finish same found on luxury cars.. so i sold the basic soft top that came with the willys for $120..

i also got another a second unlimited premium tinted window set unopened box for $100 and it came with the frame and hardware.

also got 4 x bf ko2 at 12/32 thread for $600... i still have the original goodyears, they are new and stored somewhere..

there is one thing in common though.. most people i see selling dirt cheap got their jeep stolen.. the premium soft top was stored in their garage when they stole their jeep (with hard top on) their insurance covered everything so even If they were selling very cheap... they still made extra cash.

the flares also came from a guy who got his jeep stolen (a rubicon) with 17000 miles.

my jeep sleeps inside my garage.. and i have a tracker installed.. i highly recommend people to install a tracker. they can track a stolen car even if its inside a van or a boat container Now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yea, black flares are nice too but i personnaly prefer colored ones..

i wanted a sahara but they're were too expensive and weren’t in the color i like when i was looking for jeep last summer. I was quote $200 per fender to prime and paint. So i forgot about it until i saw this guy selling the hydro blue fenders on craiglist

so i got the colored flares for $50 each..so $200 total.. not bad..
it just that i didn't know about the one time use rivets that we have to pop.
So i had to buy a riveter for plastic rivets.. and it was difficult to find locally. And i didn't want to wait for online ordering. Cost me $30 For the riveter and few plastic rivets.
it took me like 3 hours to do the swap.. not counting the search for the plastic rivets and reveter.

one of the flares had minor scratches but i was able to remove them significally.. now they are barely visible. Did a counpound on all 4.

when im about to sell the jeep, they will probably ask me what year/model.. should i just say It's a jeep willys edition? Willys/sahara? Half willys half sahara? Lol

anyway, here some before/after photos.
first you can see the factory willys with black fender flares, and no lift.. the after photos show the willys with blue fenders.. now the front grill is still black.. i'm not going to paint it yet.. and im not sure if i want it blue.. maybe later. but i will keep the wheels black because they are unique to the willys.

let me know what you guys think.

View attachment 4434544 View attachment 4434545 View attachment 4434546 View attachment 4434547 View attachment 4434548
I did the same thing on my hydro blue Jeep. I was able to get all the fender flares for $250 off the for sale forum here on this site a few years ago. They were in great shape and I think makes the hydro blue Jeep look better. I wanted a Sahara but couldn’t afford one at the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the same thing on my hydro blue Jeep. I was able to get all the fender flares for $250 off the for sale forum here on this site a few years ago. They were in great shape and I think makes the hydro blue Jeep look better. I wanted a Sahara but couldn’t afford one at the time.
my next jeep if i decide to get another one will be sahara period...

my first was a sahara yj... this my second...

today i got my hand on a used blue front grill ..craiglist again.. this time it was a little more expensive than the average i usually see ... paid $150. for this blue...It took me 5 min to swap the grill... ive been looking for months to get a used blue.. and was quote $300 to color match

however, this grill seems different from the sahara.. there are some black trims and the logo is also black. i think i got a special edition one.

its ok though, i have a willys which has black wheels and glossy bumper.. i think it fits.

top photo shows before, bottom is now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts