Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the little rock chip on my winshield decided to grow about a 3" crack today, and I'm sure its going to get worse soon. Anybody know how much a new one usually costs? It had better be cheap! I think that wranglers are the only vehicles on the road that have completely flat winshield.

Maybe i'll just go to home depot and replace it with 1/8" plexiglass, that would work, right? :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try one of the cheap resin kits first, they can work surprisingly well and if all goes well the little chip and radiating lines virtually disappear.

Plexiglass would be a really bad idea. For starters, it scratches when you look at it. It would take a massive thickness not to bow inward at speed. Something that thick won't fit in a stock gasket anyway.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, i was kidding about the plexi ;) sorry, I should have made that more clear. I just wanted to know what to expect when i called the auto glass place. I was hoping that the winshields extreme lack of complexity would equate to a low price :)

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
I've heard around $150 for a replacement...not bad really. Often times your insurance company will waive the deductible and have it repaired for you if you contact them about it in order to avoid having to replace the windshield later if you were to call them about it. Being only 3"...it's probably repairable. I'd call your insurance company and see what they say...if they want you to pay the deductible or threaten to raise your rates, pay someone out of pocket.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
I've bought 4-5 windshields for my TJs over the past 15 years and most have been done for around $130 including the windshield, installation, and tax. You have to look around for discount windshield shops as I did but they're around in most areas. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the windshield replaced in my YJ a few years back. They said it would cost $170 if paying cash. I had glass coverage on my insurance, so I let that handle it. They charged my insurance $313 and change. Yikes!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I was hoping that the winshields extreme lack of complexity would equate to a low price :)
Keep hoping!
Both my TJ and my GF's Liberty needed windshields.
The Liberty was cheaper by $15 or so.
Bigger and curved, yet cheaper???
Smaller and flat yet more expensive???
:banghead:

·
Registered
772 Posts
if you are a DIY, check your local craigs list-found a yj win/frame for $50 for a co worker(he only wanted the glass) If not check w/your insurance-had a few myself replaced for free over the yrs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts