Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2012JKU Sport Auto transmission (new transmission put in at 36,000 after first failed) currently 67K miles. I am beginning to get check engine lights for bad thermostat, and recently O2 sensor. It has got my wife to start asking when does it make sense to trade it in for a new Jeep vs repair and running this one. This one is paid for and I have recently gotten unsolicited Kelly Blue book values from my dealer for 19K and when I did KBB I got 20K. Any thoughts on running this into the ground and what it will cost to do so? It's a daily driver for me and I don't off road, use it for dependable winter transportation and its fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Unless your tranny takes another dump--which I would hope would be unlikely--you really shouldn't be looking at any likely expensive repairs given the age and mileage. Both of those issues you identified are cheap fixes if you're even a little handy and have tools.

If you're paid off, I'd probably roll with what you have rather than trade in on new unless there is something you *really* want that you find new or if there is something yours lacks that is essential to your Jeeping enjoyment. But from the information you provided, it sounds like you enjoy what you have. I say keep it, drive it, and enjoy it.

Or take the trade value and go nuts on new. :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 2012JKU Sport Auto transmission (new transmission put in at 36,000 after first failed) currently 67K miles. I am beginning to get check engine lights for bad thermostat, and recently O2 sensor. It has got my wife to start asking when does it make sense to trade it in for a new Jeep vs repair and running this one. This one is paid for and I have recently gotten unsolicited Kelly Blue book values from my dealer for 19K and when I did KBB I got 20K. Any thoughts on running this into the ground and what it will cost to do so? It's a daily driver for me and I don't off road, use it for dependable winter transportation and its fun to drive.
O2 sensors and thermostats are cheap. Neither are hard to do your self.

I'm sure you are due for new coolant anyway.

Any vehicle will require maintenance.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
It is almost always cheaper to keep what you have and fix it than it is to trade new. Unless you are worried about reliability or a warranty is important to you.

As and example my JKR cost $34K when I bought it and I have $30K in mods. At best I can get $25K for it on a trade. That is a loss of $39K. A new JLR cost $46K and will need modded to bring it up to the capabilities of my current rig. But even without the mods the JL total cost would $60K, JL cost minus my trade plus my loss. $60K pays for a lot of repairs and remember this does not include the cost of modifying the JL.

Now if your stock your number will be smaller but in the end only you can decide.

·
Super Moderator
9,109 Posts
The peace of mind of a factory warranty is worth time and money to many people.

The missing piece in the OP’s puzzle is how much it will cost to buy a new JLU. Starting MSRP on a 2018 JLU Sport automatic hardtop is $36,035...and goes up from there as one adds more options.

PS - Coincidentally, that’s how much I paid for a fully-loaded 2012 JKU Rubicon six years ago.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Much cheaper to fix it.
The other day I guy who I work with told me that he has only owned 2 cars his entire life. He's about 60 years old. Both cars have more than 350,000 miles on them. I checked my insurance policy and noted that I have insured 35 cars and 4 motorcycles. I have spent a ton of money on new and used cars. I'm sure he has saved a ton getting his maintained.
I vote to fix yours.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Damn, no off-roading and blown tranny at 36k? Gotta love the quality of these Jeeps, lol. I agree above regarding keeping if you are happy. Although, if you aren’t handy, it sure sucks not having reliable transportation because for most of us time IS money. My biggest pet peeve is not having dependable transportation for work. But, if you are handy and enjoy it, keep it, definitely cheaper.

With that said, I personally would NOT buy JL after all the crap I’ve read. Way overpriced.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
My dad always told me that the cheapest car to drive is the one you already own, and that cars rarely wear out, but that people get rid of them because they are tired of them. 45 years of driving, owning cars and watching others own cars have demonstrated to me that he was right.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Needing a NAG1 at 36K was an anomaly, it's a really dependable transmission.

Thermostat and O2 sensor is a fairly easy and inexpensive fix. I would keep what you have, you already own it. Take the money you would need to spend on a new JL and put it aside for maintenance. You almost always come out ahead doing this.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I paid $13K for an '08 with 12K miles on it. I spent $5K on gears, gadgets, lockers, stereo. When my 4 year old grandson turns 16, I will give it to him. Best money I ever spent.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn, no off-roading and blown tranny at 36k? Gotta love the quality of these Jeeps, lol. I agree above regarding keeping if you are happy. Although, if you aren’t handy, it sure sucks not having reliable transportation because for most of us time IS money. My biggest pet peeve is not having dependable transportation for work. But, if you are handy and enjoy it, keep it, definitely cheaper.

With that said, I personally would NOT buy JL after all the crap I’ve read. Way overpriced.
So transmission failed about a month after I had the entire thing serviced. The parts were rusted out. I believe they mistakenly filled the transmission case up with something other than fluid. It was just out of warranty they with no questions asked did they do the repair for free and provided a loaner care for the nearly 3 weeks it was in the shop.

I appreciate everyone's input, it speaks to common sense. Thanks for telling me what I needed to hear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts