Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is David, I am from Costa Rica and this is my first car and Jeep build.

I bought this 1998 Sport with the 4.0 a week ago (Feb. 22 exactly.) with 172.000 on the odometer. Price? Well, it depends, because of the currency, but is around $11.000. In general, I think is a pretty cool TJ with no rust. All the mods are from the PO (I didn't change anything...yet.). And this is my daily driver.

Exterior:
  • Hard top.
  • Smittybilt front and rear bumpers.
  • 7” fenders. (Because here you can’t use a vehicle with the tires outside the fenders or body)
  • Chrome Grill insert.
  • Fog Lights.

Interior:
  • Custom made leather seats. (The fronts are badly designed)

• Floor with bedliner.

In-CarEntertainment:
  • Overhead SoundBar.

• Pioneer DEH-155UB radio.

Under the Hood (And Driveline):
  • Stock 4.0.

• “Diener” battery, but I changed to Interstate MT7 37 (My first mod).
  • Front leaking Dana 30.

• Rear also leaking Dana 35.

• Stock transmission and transfer. (AX-15 and the 231.)

Suspension:
  • Looks like 2” Budget Boost.

• Rancho RS5000 Shock Absorbers.

Wheels and Tires:
  • Brand new tires: 31x10.5x15 TrailRider. (Made in Costa Rica)

• 15” Unknown wheels.

And now the problems:
  • Most of the bolts are now metric hex, but there are few ones that are torx.
  • The doors sealings are bad and pinched.

• Missing side fender lights.
  • The rear door hinges are worn and one is broken.
  • Part of the rear diver side brake shoe is missing. (And I don’t know where is that part.)

• Missing relay/fuses cover.
  • The axles are slowly leaking from the pinion seal (Maybe a clogged breather?) and the cover. Also the rear axle is slowly leaking from the axle flange on the passenger side. It made a mess with the brake, but today I temporally solved cleaning everything, but still a problem.
  • The front seats are badly designed, why? Because when I close the door, it touches the seat and is hard to close the door. In fact, the seats are now marked with the part of the door panel that hold things like maps or books (I don’t know the name.). And the driver seat doesn’t move forward. (Is like stuck in one position, but is the perfect position for me.)

“To do” list: (For pavement or “ultralight” offroading)
  • Change all the fluids. (Transfer, transmission, engine, etc.)
  • Check/Change spark plugs.
  • Change air filter.
  • Solve the “leaking axles”.
  • Change doors sealings
  • Change the rear brakes.
  • Change the rear hinges.
  • Match all (Or at least most of them) the bolts to metric hex.
  • Sell or modify the front seats.

Later “to do” list: (For “light” off roading)
  • Sell those tires/wheels and buy 33” s.
  • Buy a real lift kit. (maybe a 4" or 3" with 1" BL.)
  • Lockers. (But I think is a waste with the stock axles.)
  • Swaybar "disconects" kit.
  • A second hand of bedliner.
  • Change all the bushings.
  • Buy the side fender lights.
  • Sell the bumpers and buy something that can be used with a winch, like ARB.
  • Buy a folding soft top.
  • The headlights are OK but maybe change them.

Utopian “to do” list: (For hardcore off roading but also a DD)
  • V8 conversion (Already made the quote form Novak.)
  • Rear Dana 60 from G2 (Or just maybe a Dana 44 from G2?)
  • Front Dana 44 from G2
  • Maybe run 35” s but with the LCOG style (For the "4x4 challenge". Let me know if you want more info.)
  • Wide tube fenders for keep it DD.

Right now my budget is just for the necessary “to do” list, so is going to be a very slow build. Also, I would like to add more pics (And at least one "smilies".), but sadly there is a restriction to "15 pics max".

Thanks for reading and sorry for my English.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice looking Jeep! Seems like a good upgrade list that will give you a nice mix of daily driver and off-road capability. Awesome place to live too, currently planning a vacation there!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice looking Jeep! Seems like a good upgrade list that will give you a nice mix of daily driver and off-road capability. Awesome place to live too, currently planning a vacation there!
Thanks :thumb:..Well, at least that's the plan, but is pretty hard keep this hobby here. Everything is expensive... Yep, here is a pretty cool place to live. And if everything goes ok for you: :welcome: to Costa Rica :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after searching for my "perfect" 4" lift kit, I think that the cheapest option (in long term) is buy everything separated (shocks, springs, adjustable control arms, sway bars links, etc.), but I am not sure if my list is complete, so here it is:

• Shocks: Rancho 9000XL (RS999256 and RS999239) ~$111 X4
  • Springs: Possibly Custom made here (I need help here with specs about extended coil lenghts from common 3" and/or 4" lift kits and the wire diameter) ~$*no price yet*
  • Front Swaybar links: Superlift Front Anti-Sway Bar Quick Disconnects (JKS2001) ~$72
  • Rear Swaybar links: Rock Krawler Rear Extended Swaybar (RK01941) ~$47
  • Rear upper adjustable Control arm: Crown Automotive Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms (RT21026) ~$170
  • Front upper adjustable Control arm: Crown Automotive Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms (RT21014) ~$170
  • Rear trackbar: JKS Manufacturing Rear Adjustable Trackbar & Bracket (JKSOGS151B) ~$252
  • Front trackbar: Superlift Adjustable Front Track Bar (5070) ~$108

Anything else? I miss something? I know is missing the SYE kit, the wheels/tires, lockers (but I don't want to dump money in the D35), and few other "misc" parts. At the end, this lift "kit" would cost like ~$1300 (without shipping and custom charges :banghead: ) but I really want to do it right on the first time.
Any suggestions/advices are welcome and thanks in advance :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you might want to get a rancho steering stabilizer as well, as you may get a lot of vibs from that much lift.
I forgot that:doh:. Thanks :D
So here is my new list:
  • Shocks: Rancho RS9000XL Series Shocks & Steering Stabilizer Kit (Quadratec Part No: 16019.9906) ~$498
  • Springs: Possibly Custom made here ~$*no price yet*
  • Front Swaybar links: Superlift Front Anti-Sway Bar Quick Disconnects (JKS2001) ~$72
  • Rear Swaybar links: Rock Krawler Rear Extended Swaybar (RK01941) ~$47
  • Rear upper adjustable Control arm: Crown Automotive Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms (RT21026) ~$170
  • Front upper adjustable Control arm: Crown Automotive Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms (RT21014) ~$170
  • Rear trackbar: JKS Manufacturing Rear Adjustable Trackbar & Bracket (JKSOGS151B) ~$252
  • Front trackbar: Superlift Adjustable Front Track Bar (5070) ~$108

Anyone with this info?:
I need help here with specs about extended coil lenghts from common 3" and/or 4" lift kits and the wire diameter
Thanks in advance :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts