Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a friend with a 2005 LJ 3" lift and 35 x 12.5" tires. When calling Costco for a home and multi car insurance quote the rep asked what mods and size tires he had on the jeep. After plugging the data into their risk master it was determined the jeep was to unsafe to insure with those size tires... Any one ever hear of anything like this? I wonder if our JK's with 35's would have the same restrictions since they said it was based on the size of the vehicle?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Some insurance like to keep the risk low. Based on their statistical analysis, which they perform a lot of, their numbers must indicate lifted Jeeps incur more claims and maybe more expensive claims both in property damage and liability. This is like young male drivers under 25 are also high risk so they have to pay more.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yep, all about risk management. They deem at 35" tires the line was crossed between risk and reward so they as a privately owned company decided to cut the losses there.
I have never been asked what mods I have on a vehicle but we are all asked to give our vin, they use that to find exactly what safety options you have, same sort of thing except usually in the direction of safety(less risk).

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm an underwriter for Liberty Mutual and we will not insure any lifted vehicles either. Our agents will ask during the quoting process about modifications and if it is disclosed the quote will reject. If we discover at a later time your vehicle is lifted, we will send a non renewal notice at your next renewal.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I'm an underwriter for Liberty Mutual and we will not insure any lifted vehicles either. Our agents will ask during the quoting process about modifications and if it is disclosed the quote will reject. If we discover at a later time your vehicle is lifted, we will send a non renewal notice at your next renewal.
I have had Liberty Mutual for many years, with several Jeeps (YJ, XJ, JK), and not once did my agent ever ask me about mods in general, or specifically about a lift. Plus, none of the yearly review forms ask about such (only about the miles I drove that year, and stuff like that).

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have had Liberty Mutual for many years, with several Jeeps (YJ, XJ, JK), and not once did my agent ever ask me about mods in general, or specifically about a lift. Plus, none of the yearly review forms ask about such (only about the miles I drove that year, and stuff like that).
All agents, both local and national sales center agents are supposed to ask if additional coverage for modifications is needed. If the customer discloses they have a lifted vehicle they are not to bind the coverage. An agent who binds coverage on an unbindable vehicle is doing the customer a disservice because as I stated earlier we will non-renew the policy if discovered. The company is extremely conservative and doesn't want to assume the risk of lifted vehicles.

We also do not insure high end vehicles valued over $150,000 except for in California.

·
Registered
723 Posts
These insurance companies sound like crap to me. I would switch to a local insurer for much better customer service. All these national chains just want yo money. When it's time to file a claim with them, good luck getting through the red tape.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm also a long time Liberty Mutual customer, house, truck, boat, atv, jeep and have never been asked about mods. I can get a much better deal through USAA but they won't insure my house because of fire danger. I like to keep everything with one insurer. Looks like I'll drop my jeep coverage with Liberty in Aug. and go USAA, better rates. Hope they don't have the same policy. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is interesting yet confusing. At what point does a modification become a modification and what defines a lift? Many dealers already sell you vehicles with a "lift" straight out of the dealer? Does this count as a mod or is it when you do it yourself? Many tires are advertised as 35 yet measure in at 33.5 or even less when mounted. Does one report the actual size or advertised size? The advertised size on the sidewall can be easily removed and often gets destroyed when wheeling.

·
Super Moderator
10,618 Posts
I've been using Mercury for years and they have been pretty good.

I switched to AAA but got tired of their constant intrusion: they want to know EXACTLY how many miles I drive with each vehicle (they read your odometer every time you renew), they even wanted to install a device to monitor my driving...and their rates just kept on creeping up!

After 6-8 months, I switched back to Mercury: they only ask how many miles is my daily commute, percent commute/pleasure driving, and that's it. And they consistently beat everyone else's rates.

I made a claim with Mercury when an idiot in a Prius rear ended my 2009 JKUR while he was texting: my Jeep had a 2.5" lift, a steel bumper and a winch. The rear and front bumper got pushed in when I hit the vehicle in front, but the winch was untouched; nevertheless, Mercury replaced the bumpers and winch, no questions asked.

Aldo

·
Registered
483 Posts
All agents, both local and national sales center agents are supposed to ask if additional coverage for modifications is needed. If the customer discloses they have a lifted vehicle they are not to bind the coverage. An agent who binds coverage on an unbindable vehicle is doing the customer a disservice because as I stated earlier we will non-renew the policy if discovered. The company is extremely conservative and doesn't want to assume the risk of lifted vehicles.

We also do not insure high end vehicles valued over $150,000 except for in California.
Why does the company discriminate against every other state but California when it comes to high end vehicles?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Liberty also never inquired about my Jeep. Maybe they didn't want to know because our vehicles and house are with them. Anyone know of a way to join USAA? My dad was retired army but never had USAA.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I wonder if its an age thing. I used to get asked all the time in my 20s but haven't been asked in the past couple of years and have switched companies 3 times.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have Geico and they asked about modifications. I just bought my Jeep, at the time I had a 1997 Land Cruiser and a Tundra(We still have it). They insured the vehicles so that in the event of a wreck, we are covered for the cost of modifications vs. just book value.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Liberty also never inquired about my Jeep. Maybe they didn't want to know because our vehicles and house are with them. Anyone know of a way to join USAA? My dad was retired army but never had USAA.
When I called USAA they asked me what branch and dates of service, the rep punched in the numbers and said you're good to go. Quoted me a 900 a year savings on my jeep, truck, and atv than I was paying with Liberty Mutual. I was ready to make a deal but they wouldn't insure my house because I live in a high fire risk area. Based on what that Liberty Mutual rep said about mods I'm bailing on them and going USAA with my jeep, truck, atv and hope Liberty doesn't cancel my homeowners policy, good luck.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think the most shocking thing about this post is that Costco sells freaking insurance?! That blows my mind, they really do have everything.

I am an insurance broker but I mostly do commercial insurance and risk management. I can tell you that when I sold myself my auto policy, they asked about modifications and I sent them a list and an additional value that I wanted added to cover the mods (if you haven't done this, you should). MetLife didn't say anything about my 35's but I have heard it is common for companies not to insure lifted vehicles.

And I agree with the people posting positive things about USAA, I don't sell their insurance but they have a pretty solid policy with fair pricing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts