Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago when the northeast winter storm hit, I was driving around in my 2015 JK. I had been going in and out of 4H and 2H throughout the drive. The first time I went into 4H, I successfully disabled ESC. At some point I switched into 2H, and when I went back into 4H, I could no longer disable ESC.

Eventually I just pulled the J6 fuse. When the roads were finally clear, I reinstalled the J6 fuse and have not used 4WD since then. However, just to be sure I wasn't still having an issue, I tried to disable ESC while in 4H just recently and was successfully able to do so.

So is there any circumstance where the computer will not allow you to disable ESC while in 4H? Like maybe I was driving too fast at the time, or maybe because ESC had already kicked on a few times that it didn't want me to disable it?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
ESP Off in 4H only, the vehicle has to be stopped and the engine running. You then have to press and hold the ESP OFF switch for 5 seconds. It can be turned "Partial Off" in other modes . It will automatically be off in 4L. There's nothing wrong with leaving ESP active with highway driving when maintaining speed to the extent where 4H and 2WD is alternatively being used.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ESP Off in 4H only, the vehicle has to be stopped and the engine running. You then have to press and hold the ESP OFF switch for 5 seconds. It can be turned "Partial Off" in other modes . It will automatically be off in 4L. There's nothing wrong with leaving ESP active with highway driving when maintaining speed to the extent where 4H and 2WD is alternatively being used.
Ok so the issue was that I was moving, not stopped. I wasn't driving on the highway, just on some local roads that were covered in snow from the storm.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Ok so the issue was that I was moving, not stopped. I wasn't driving on the highway, just on some local roads that were covered in snow from the storm.
Yes. If you prefer not to have ESP you can turn it off by doing the steering wheel/ESP button maneuver indicated in the manual. By doing that, you wouldn't have to remove fuses, etc. You can re-enable it again by repeating the procedure. That might work out better for you. Not everyone likes ESP. I only disable it off road. Your choice.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Yes. If you prefer not to have ESP you can turn it off by doing the steering wheel/ESP button maneuver indicated in the manual. By doing that, you wouldn't have to remove fuses, etc. You can re-enable it again by repeating the procedure. That might work out better for you. Not everyone likes ESP. I only disable it off road. Your choice.

Can you find that in a manual for a 2014? I cannot.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
OK. Here goes. I have a 2014 JKURX. Somehow I think I have disabled ESC. My right rear wheel turns at all times and I don't get help from other wheels in 2H. I cannot remember when this started but I know last winter the ESC was working and I was playing around with shutting it off at times. Now, I have to be extremely careful when I hit slippery stuff.

I was actually hoping to turn it back on. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I grabbed the following info from this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/m...res-with-sequences-enable-disable-155357.html

Gort said: "The article is from 2009. I've seen posts (here and elsewhere) stating that the complete ESP disable will NOT work on 2012+. I've also seen posts (here and elsewhere) from people that say it WILL work on 2012+."

Steering wheel dance:

1. Turn jeep on
2. Set to 4hi
3. Set parking brake
4. Make sure steering wheel is centered
5. Turn wheel to the right, 180 degrees, JEEP logo should be upside down at this point - hold ESP off button for 7 seconds, you may hear a chime at 5 seconds(and ESP OFF may show up on the speedo), but keep holding for 7 seconds!!!!
6. Turn wheel back to center then left 180 degrees, JEEP logo should be upside down at this point - hold ESP off button for 7 seconds, again, hold for 7 seconds!!!
7. Turn back to center, and hold ESP for 7 seconds.
8. Turn Jeep off

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Thanks. I will try again. With these hidden gems it some times takes multiple tries for me like the disable seatbelt chime. That took me a few tries as well.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
OK. I tried it again and I got the chime and ESCOFF in the turn to the right position, no chime in the turn left position, and chime in the center position. As far as I can tell it is still off and I am having trouble turning it back on. So, the steering wheel dance does appear to still work on a 2014 but I have not figured out how to turn ESC back on yet.

Thanks. I will keep trying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that over 30mph it automatically reengages. Or maybe I'm tripping and thats my truck rahter than the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Well, not if you do the steering wheel dance. Now, I have mine off and cannot get it back on. I have tried doing the dance again but it still says off.

If I pull J6 fuse will that reset the ESC to factory?

·
Retired Moderator
100,578 Posts
Try pulling your battery cables. Hold the positive and negative cables ends together for about 30 seconds. Then reinstall the cables and see if that turns it back on.

·
Premium Member
7,469 Posts
It's in your 2014 owners MANUAL, not necessarily your owners GUIDE. The procedure starts on pg. 474.

4H Range (4WD Models)

On
This is the normal operating mode for ESC in 4H range.

Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the ESC
OFF switch. When in Partial Off mode, the TCS portion
of ESC (except for the limited slip feature described in the
TCS section), has been disabled and the ESC Off Indicator
Light will be illuminated.

ESC Off
This mode is entered by pressing and holding momentarily
pressing the ESC OFF switch for five seconds.
To turn ESC on again, momentarily
press the ESC OFF switch. This will restore normal
“ESC On” mode of operation. The ESC Off Indicator
Light” will always be illuminated when ESC is off and
partial off.
DOWNLOAD A RECENT OWNER'S MANUAL FOR FREE

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
The dance is not in the 2014 manual. I have the full downloaded PDF manual. This trick is beyond the manual and unfortunately I cannot figure out how to undo the trick, yet.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dance is not in the 2014 manual. I have the full downloaded PDF manual. This trick is beyond the manual and unfortunately I cannot figure out how to undo the trick, yet.
How do you know it is disabled? I just don't see how you could have accidentally disabled it.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
How do you know it is disabled? I just don't see how you could have accidentally disabled it.
You know it is disabled when you get into snow and ice and your rear right wheel just spins away with no help from ESC. Another great test is go into a snowy parking lot and do donuts. I can spin this 2014 JKURX around like my old TJ.

Now, how did this happen?

Well, last summer I was reading here on JF about how to disable ESC and I tried a few things. Funny, I guess I am getting old but I don't remember doing the steering wheel dance but I do remember seeing the ESC OFF message in EVIC. Same message I see now that I cannot get to turn into ESC ON. So this is my fault and I will figure it out. :tomatoes:

I just put a call into my favorite dealer. Guess what? They had no idea about the steering wheel dance but they are checking shop manuals for me.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Try pulling your battery cables. Hold the positive and negative cables ends together for about 30 seconds. Then reinstall the cables and see if that turns it back on.
I have now done the battery reset but now I need to find a snowy parking lot to test.

Thanks folks I will update this thread when I have more information. I would imagine someone else will do this sooner or later.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have now done the battery reset but now I need to find a snowy parking lot to test.

Thanks folks I will update this thread when I have more information. I would imagine someone else will do this sooner or later.

I am more interested in how to disable it like you did :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts