Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the RCA/video cable for a backup camera be spliced? Say you want to extend the cable, can you cut and splice it?

Also, if you wanted to install a front camera, would run run the power back inside of the cab to the same place the rear camera is powered and connect it there or run it to the fuse box?
If ran to the fuse box do you know a good place to connect?

thanks

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Can the RCA/video cable for a backup camera be spliced? Say you want to extend the cable, can you cut and splice it?
Why not just add an extension cable? It would be a whole lot easier (and if you're like me, you probably have a couple lying around your house somewhere).

Also, if you wanted to install a front camera, would run run the power back inside of the cab to the same place the rear camera is powered and connect it there or run it to the fuse box?
When I installed a backup camera in my Suburban, the camera itself drew power from one reverse light bulb. The screen on the dash drew power from the fusebox inside the vehicle. If I were adding a second camera up front, I would either (a) let its screen draw power from the same place in the fusebox, since theoretically you'd only be using one camera at a time, or (b) just plug the front camera video cable into my backup camera's screen since it has two video inputs. :)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
The video cable for the camera is a coax cable. Splicing will work electrically but you now have an unshielded section that will introduce noise in the signal.

You can get RCA couplers and RCA extensions. That's what I always do and I can actually properly splice coax (most of the time). It's just not worth my time and trouble.

For power, you can pull power from wherever you like. M7 from the TIPM (JK) using an Add a Fuse will work. Be advised that doing it this way will leave the camera powered all the time and might shorten it's life. I have 3 front cameras and because the cable with the camera was long and had power in it, I tied it all back in the tub and they are in a 3 way switch.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts

If ran to the fuse box do you know a good place to connect?

thanks
FWIIW. This is what I use for camera switcher.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never mind about splicing. Long story. Was trying to repair a cable. Ended up buying a new one.

Still going to add a front camera. But I’m going to use M7 already for an amp remote turn on. Anyone know of another fuse I can use?

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Never mind about splicing. Long story. Was trying to repair a cable. Ended up buying a new one.

Still going to add a front camera. But I’m going to use M7 already for an amp remote turn on. Anyone know of another fuse I can use?
If I remember correctly, the blue/white wire on your radio harness is the remote power turn on. It provides power to your amp only when you turn on the radio. That is how I have my 2014 wired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts