Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys first, tho i know the difference between a body lift and a suspension lift....but im not sure how much of each mine has. It has a SkyJack (i think thats the name) full suspension consisting of shocks, struts, sways, and i would assume leafs but i dont know how to tell if those are aftermarket. i bring that up because i bought my YJ w/o flares and it SUCKS when i go get in the mud. Mud slings over me, the dash, my hair, everywhere....i wanna reduce that a little by reinstalling flares. i have 33" x 12.5 AT tires and im not sure which flares to get. I have seen choices between Factory, 6", and 7".

Also, i need a top! all these hurricanes and storms coming are gonna kick my ass. I bought my YJ w/o a top. i was looking at the tonneau covers and i think they look good; will this be a better idea in the long run because i dont think i have the soft top hardware....nore am i sure what that consists of. however, i have also been looking at some nice of bestop's soft tops.

lastly, how much should i expect to pay for the flares, and also the top?

Thx in advance!

heres a pic of the jeep if you can see the lift type

·
Administrator
30,779 Posts
Try this for flares, if you don't see what you are looking for call the cust service #

Fender Flares - Quadratec

They also have all of your top options

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
good news is it looks like all suspesnion. without the flares its a little harder to tell, 4 or 6"

as far as tops, no tonnou cover, and bikini tops will hold up to storms. you need a hard top, or a full factory or aftermarket soft top.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Use a tape measure and figure out how wide the flairs need to be.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a '92 YJ with 31x10.5's and the factory flares. I still get mud all over the place. Get at least the 6", but measure first.

DON"T GO WITH A TONNEAU COVER!
I've had one, along with the bikini and windjammer. They are great for sunny days and maybe a little rain while you drive, but they don't seal the "cockpit". And they collect a $#it load of water if you don't install a bow.

I recommend getting a soft top. I wish I had one. I got a hard top instead, and I can't take it off in the middle of a trail. O, and the aftermarket upper doors for the hard top suck for ventilation.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol @ the volvo comment. i dont mind getting muddy...i mean thats why i go out there, but it just gets to a point where there isnt a single inch in or around the jeep that isnt slung w/ mud.

also, what 'hardware' do i need to put on a soft top?

how do i measure for the flares?? can i get too wide of a flare? i would rather go wider then too small.

btw, the little tarp thingy thats on there as a 'top' SUCKS BALLS! it collects like 8 gallons of water when it rains. will a a soft top correct this?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good news is it looks like all suspesnion. without the flares its a little harder to tell, 4 or 6"

as far as tops, no tonnou cover, and bikini tops will hold up to storms. you need a hard top, or a full factory or aftermarket soft top.
is there any need to do more of a lift such as body, if so, how do i do that?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
is there any need to do more of a lift such as body, if so, how do i do that?
nope especially not body lift. i think you're rollin fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts