Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings
I have a 2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon, bought used. Want to do some upgrades on lights, roof rack replacement (not liking the one that came with it), and more of the most standard upgrades, as in Winch, Recovery gear, Hi-Lift jack and it's assorted accessories.

My biggest concern and questions are as follows:
1. is there any data on all the acronyms being used? I know being retired military, we use them all the time, but I am having some issues, (could be my old age lol ) figuring them out. ( I know someone will ask which one, and for the life of me, I can't remember which one right off the top, but there are many out there I am having issues, with, when it pertains to the Jeeps.

2. upgrade from halogen to LED Lights all around, good or bad ?

3. Location of lights (thinking of the 52 LED bar for the roof, a couple of 3 or 4 inch ones for A Pillar, a smaller 10 inch LED for front bumper, and a couple of 3 or 4 inch for front bumper angled outwards - Now the question for a couple of those, I see 10 degree spot and 30 degree flood combo's or individual sets. so the question is: Should I put floods on those corner lights on bumper, and combo on the A pillar? Having not driven ever off road in the past, and will like to do more now, having just a bit of an understanding on these. Any help and guidance will be most appreciated.

Second major, Living in Oregon, I have the required sticker for off road 4x4 vehicle, but is there (for those of you who live in Washington state or California, a ORV type of sticker required. (I have searched the Washington (as it is closer to my location), and so far have yet found a definitive answer.

:confused:

·
Administrator
41,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Greetings
I have a 2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon, bought used. Want to do some upgrades on lights, roof rack replacement (not liking the one that came with it), and more of the most standard upgrades, as in Winch, Recovery gear, Hi-Lift jack and it's assorted accessories.

My biggest concern and questions are as follows:
1. is there any data on all the acronyms being used? I know being retired military, we use them all the time, but I am having some issues, (could be my old age lol ) figuring them out. ( I know someone will ask which one, and for the life of me, I can't remember which one right off the top, but there are many out there I am having issues, with, when it pertains to the Jeeps.

2. upgrade from halogen to LED Lights all around, good or bad ?

3. Location of lights (thinking of the 52 LED bar for the roof, a couple of 3 or 4 inch ones for A Pillar, a smaller 10 inch LED for front bumper, and a couple of 3 or 4 inch for front bumper angled outwards - Now the question for a couple of those, I see 10 degree spot and 30 degree flood combo's or individual sets. so the question is: Should I put floods on those corner lights on bumper, and combo on the A pillar? Having not driven ever off road in the past, and will like to do more now, having just a bit of an understanding on these. Any help and guidance will be most appreciated.

Second major, Living in Oregon, I have the required sticker for off road 4x4 vehicle, but is there (for those of you who live in Washington state or California, a ORV type of sticker required. (I have searched the Washington (as it is closer to my location), and so far have yet found a definitive answer.

:confused:
Congrats, great choice on the Jeep. Beastmaster posted a good terminology link, so I'll leave that alone.

Focusing on lighting:Only you know how much you need, but you've listed a huge amount of light. In particular, I'd be careful with a 50+ inch bar unless you're going to really be using it. They tend to whistle at highway speeds and some of the fixes aren't really good ideas.

I'd take a look at upgrading the headlights and fogs first, then add supplemental lighting as needed, probably starting with the A Pillar lights. Inspired Engineering's Revolvers with the 10A kit worked great for LED fog light replacements. Very quick swap (made easier by removing the bumper end caps). For headlights, if you get snow where you are, consider the Truck-Lite heated product. I have a set and have had an iced-over front end, except for the headlights. They really work. If you don't get snow, it's hard to argue with the JW Speaker products.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you,, I know my list is huge, so following your suggestion and my pocket book will do lights first. thank you again..

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
In California we have no additional off-road registration required. If it is registered for the street you are good to go.

Upgrade your headlights and foglights to LED (Quadratec, KC Hi-lites, or JW Speaker). Then address the auxiliary lighting. Light bars tend to make the most noise. A set of bumper mounted driving lights and cubes on the A pillar will go a long way, but if you really want to light up the night, nothing beats the 50" light bars.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I think Jason meant Inspired Engineering (I have some of their lights, quality stuff, and I had one fail 8 months in which they replaced, so stood behind their product). Just in case you were googling for illuminated engineering and not finding anything.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I think Jason meant Inspired Engineering (I have some of their lights, quality stuff, and I had one fail 8 months in which they replaced, so stood behind their product). Just in case you were googling for illuminated engineering and not finding anything.
Whoops - Yep, meant Inspired Engineering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts