Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
_____O|||||||O_____
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many questions/answers about gearing for manuals. However I can't find many regarding autos. I have 2005 X automatic. What would be the ideal gear ratio for 33" tires on my Jeep?

Also another Question.
My Jeep droops down a lot in the front due to the weight of the winch and bumper and also because I took the spare tire off. I have a 3" BDS lift and when I did the lift I put 3/4" spaces up front to help level it out, but it still droops down. Would installing 4" coils in the front help level it out? And if I do that should I keep or lose the spacers?

·
_____O|||||||O_____
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And also what would be a good brand of coils? Thanks

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Well 4.10/4.11 for gas mileage. 4.56 is "perfect" and 4.88 for power.

I have the same issue. I think you'll get used to the droop. But if you insist on gettin coils you can. You almost want to get the correct length shocks then but, if you have an inch bumpstop or more you should be okay. Because the shock length now should be proper for full compression of the springs. they may still be too close to cool bind. It's just something you have to check. I don't have enough expletive with mixing and matching components to say for sure. The shorter shocks may limit your droop as well. Ideally you may want to switch shocks as well. I tried to get Bds buy they only make 4.5 or 3. I tried zone and they wouldn't sell me just the coils. I suggest looking for some quality used springs. I'm still on the hunt as well.

·
_____O|||||||O_____
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well 4.10/4.11 for gas mileage. 4.56 is "perfect" and 4.88 for power.

I have the same issue. I think you'll get used to the droop. But if you insist on gettin coils you can. You almost want to get the correct length shocks then but, if you have an inch bumpstop or more you should be okay. Because the shock length now should be proper for full compression of the springs. they may still be too close to cool bind. It's just something you have to check. I don't have enough expletive with mixing and matching components to say for sure. The shorter shocks may limit your droop as well. Ideally you may want to switch shocks as well. I tried to get Bds buy they only make 4.5 or 3. I tried zone and they wouldn't sell me just the coils. I suggest looking for some quality used springs. I'm still on the hunt as well.
If I got the 4" coils up front should I keep or lose the spacers?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Have either one of you looked at Currie/Savvy heavy duty 4" springs?

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
InvertChaos said:
Is 2005 the 3 speed or the 4 speed? If its the 3 speed you want 4.10, if its the 4 speed you want 4.88
It's 4 idt they had 3spds after they changes in like 03

Anyways I never looked at the currie but because i have a zone lift I wanted zone or Bds if I could.

·
_____O|||||||O_____
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if the 2005 is a 3 speed or 4 speed. Can anyone help me out on that?
And if it's a 4 speed should I get 4.56 or 4.88 with my 33" tires? Also, will the 4" coils fix the droop or is there a chance I might need to add small spacers again?

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
MVintherTJ said:
I don't know if the 2005 is a 3 speed or 4 speed. Can anyone help me out on that?
And if it's a 4 speed should I get 4.56 or 4.88 with my 33" tires? Also, will the 4" coils fix the droop or is there a chance I might need to add small spacers again?
Can't help you with the coils, but I just looked it up and you have the 4 speed. Assuming you have the 6cyl, you want 4.88 with 33" tires due to the deep over drive gear.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I would just do hd coils as mentioned. I want to do something along those lines but I'm in no rush. I'll actually prob go 4 in rear and 4.5 in front after a bunch of other stuff so no changing for now. And like invert said 4.88 is optimal. But you can deviate from that.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
2005 Auto = 42RLE - 4-speed with an overdrive thats far too tall to be behind a 4.0L with the aerodynamics of a bus.

with the 42RLE you need 4.88s to turn 33s. it's grossly undergeared from the factory. 4.10s are good for 30s. needs 5.13s or 5.38s for 35s.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
2005 Auto = 42RLE - 4-speed with an overdrive thats far too tall to be behind a 4.0L with the aerodynamics of a bus.

with the 42RLE you need 4.88s to turn 33s. it's grossly undergeared from the factory. 4.10s are good for 30s. needs 5.13s or 5.38s for 35s.
That's what I said earlier minus the cute bus part :thumb:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Can the OP use the stock carrier for gears 4.10 and up or does he need to change that too?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts