Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the dash removed to change my evaporator and heater core. Got everything back together....now I can't get the interior lights to go out.

It seemed like the drivers side door switch was intermittent, because if I pressed it with my hand the lights would sometimes go out. I cut the two wires going to the switch and joined them together but this did not work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can temporarily remove fuse #4 behind your glove box to completely disable the dome lights.

To ultimately fix your issue, it sounds like your switch needs to be replaced.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,400 Posts
My bet is the rotary dashlight dimmer switch was left rotated fully so it is clicked on. Pulling fuse #4 behind the glove box won't shut the light off if the dimmer switch was accidentally left clicked on.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bet is the rotary dashlight dimmer switch was left rotated fully so it is clicked on. Pulling fuse #4 behind the glove box won't shut the light off if the dimmer switch was accidentally left clicked on.
rotary. Switch definately NOT on. Is there a connector under the dash that connects this circuit....

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Twisting the wires together will turn the light on..... seperate them for off

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Twisting the wires together will turn the light on..... seperate them for off
It didn't matter, wires together or separated still the same out come. I also checked the switch with an ohm meter and it's working fine

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently had the dash removed to change my evaporator and heater core. Got everything back together....now I can't get the interior lights to go out.

It seemed like the drivers side door switch was intermittent, because if I pressed it with my hand the lights would sometimes go out. I cut the two wires going to the switch and joined them together but this did not work.
If all was working before you took the dash out - you made something change.
Putting wire together will not work, it make circuit closed - door closed {switch [circuit] open light off - door open {switch [circuit] closed} light on.

Fuse 4 is the door switch disable, if you pull it and the light goes out it's the switch (either) if the light stays on it is the main light switch/dimmer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I re-soldered the wires for the door switch that I cut.

When I pulled fuse 4 the lights went out.

I doubled checked and re-seated all connectors behind the dash and everything seems to be working correctly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the problem was caused by the white connector (that goes to the instrument cluster/gauges) being loose. The wires for the door switch(es) are routed through that connector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts