Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live right by the ocean and everything on my build is rusting incredibly fast. I'm going to make a pass with some grease but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cover for a lifted and modified JKU. I'm having trouble finding anything that will cover it top to bottom. Most of the time the wheels and undercarriage are exposed and that's what's rusting the most.

TLDR: JKU w/ 3" lift on 35" tires - I need a cover recommendation that will go to the ground and also protect the undercarriage.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Had a thought, before Grease Cosmoline - now is spray cans..

Reactions: TheMungPie

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I lived 15 minutes from the beach and drove on the beach for 5 years. Had a $25 per month car wash plan and hit the car wash every time returning from the beach. On average the jeep was washed about 2 times per week. I also coated the underside and everywhere I could get to with Fluid Film at least 2 times per year. Since moved away. The entire underside has surface rust. Paint flaking off the control arms. bumpers, etc. especially where it got scratched off roading. The screws that hold the CB radio mounted over the rear view mirror are corroded. While "Sea Mist" may be a cool name for a paint color, it is full of salt and gets in everywhere. Not saying that you shouldn't try and put up a good fight, but - Salt Life!

Reactions: TheMungPie

·
Premium Member
9,459 Posts
IMO in that type of environment covers can cause more harm than good. IMO fluid film type products and a good wax/sealer plus regular washing with lots of water is the best solution. Covers can and will trap salt and sand over type and cause issue of there own.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Thanks, everyone! Currently buying stock in Fluid Film. :ROFLMAO:
There is a kit on Amazon that includes a ~2' plastic tube and nozzle that allows you to coat the inside of the frame and other hard to reach places. I would recommend applying it while parked on grass. it can get slippery.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Your best bet is Fluid Film/Wool Wax. These products are great for protecting metal. Also helps to prepare for the eventual rust. Salt mist will settle everywhere and in the end is going to win.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts