Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cover for when you have no door or top on
I have a lot of stray cats in my area and I'd like to leave my door off at night and maybe the top. I've seen some of those covers that cover the door openings and trunk area and wondered if anyone uses one and how they like it? How does it hold up to rail. Can you use it with hard top, soft top, no top or bikini style?

Some of the ones I've seen

Bestop 81041-09 - Bestop® All Weather Trail Cover in Charcoal for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

Smittybilt 1069 - Smittybilt Cab Cover with Door Flaps in Gray for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

·
Registered
876 Posts
I used a bestop trail cover for years on my TJ and was very happy with it. It was the one that covered the door opening but it would not work with the doors on because it's a pretty snug fit and the mirrors would get in the way. It worked with my tube doors though. I assume you're asking how it holds up to rain and not rail. I was great. I figured out after the first rain though that I needed to run a board from door to door above the roll bar to keep water from pooling. I used an old bed slat cut to length.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have the trail cover. Comes in very handy. With some loosening of the door flaps I can install it with the doors still on.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So none of these will work with the hard top on and doors off?

How does your trail cover do in rain?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see rugged ridge and cover craft made one also that covers the door openings also

·
Registered
16 Posts
i had a rain gear cover from Rain Gear Jeep Covers for my TJ, it worked fantastically! i'd use it all summer long, it was 100% waterproof and it let me keep my jeep doorless and roofless for 3-4 months straight.

the only thing i would advise is be careful pulling it off after a heavy rain, it tended to pool up above the seats and would dump on you pulling it off if you didn't pay attention. some people put together a little bar to prop up across the cage, you could try that but i never really needed it.

the best part was it took about 45 seconds flat to toss it over the jeep and secure it, perfect for a sudden downpour.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use a Smittbilt 1069 (2dr) I use it with the top down and door on or off, of course it would work great with the top removed also. You have to fold the mirrors in and it’s a little tighter with the doors but not a problem. There are several reviews on Amazon and that’s where I got mine. Heavy rain would definitely pool in this thing. I use it for dust more than rain and also to keep prying eyes out.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
Mowgli25 said:
So none of these will work with the hard top on and doors off?

How does your trail cover do in rain?
No, they will not. However, why would you need one with the hard top on. I'be been out in the rain with no doors and the soft top up without windows. It's no big deal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I modded a smittybilt trail cover to work with my soft top or hard top on and doors off. Some people call it safari style, having the cover on at night keeps cats and wondering eyes out of my jeep.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Automotive wheel system Rim

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Automotive wheel system Rim

Textile Linens Denim Pattern Linen

Keeps the rain out as well. I'll be selling the cover in a few days for $50 shipped. It's used but still in good shape and the seams have all be reinforced. I'm gonna sell it if a water proof bag I keep it in when not in use. If anyone is interested P.M.
Augi

·
Registered
112 Posts
I modded a smittybilt trail cover to work with my soft top or hard top on and doors off. Some people call it safari style, having the cover on at night keeps cats and wondering eyes out of my jeep.

View attachment 226629

View attachment 226630

View attachment 226631

View attachment 226632

Keeps the rain out as well. I'll be selling the cover in a few days for $50 shipped. It's used but still in good shape and the seams have all be reinforced. I'm gonna sell it if a water proof bag I keep it in when not in use. If anyone is interested P.M.
Augi
Sent PM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts