Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got no more roof on my Jeep, I decided to convert my air conditioning system into a air compressor. It is more useful when going off road.
Can re-inflate my tires and clean my Jeep.

I used the same compressor and an air tank located under my Jeep.

It is adjusted to go up to 50 PSI.

I also installed a switch on the dashboard to make sure that it is not running all the time and spend more money on gas.

·
Registered
925 Posts
fricken sweet man, if you get a chance maybe you can do a write up of the mod?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is quite simple.

Here it goes.

1-Empty the gas that you have in the air cond unit.
2-Disconnect the air line that goes to the cooling unit.
3-Connect it to a pressure regulator (the blue thing that you see on the picture).
4-Connect a new air line from the regulator to an air tank ( I put mine outside the frame under the passenger side).
5-Connect an other air line from the air tank to where ever you want to have your air output ( I put mine on the passenger side and I hide it under the carpet).
6-Disconnect the compressor/aircond switch ( electric ) and hook the power to an other switch on the dashboard ( I hooked mine on the rear defrost ).
7-Connect that line (power) to the regulator.
8-Connect the regulator (power) to the compressor.

Important note:
1-Most air tank don't have a gage that show the pressure. It would be wise to have a gage at the output to control and adjust your pressure in the tank from the regulator. Once that is adjusted you can take off the gage.
2-Remember that most air tank don't have a blowup valve. So step 1 is not to be taken lightly.

3-The on/off switch is very important because even though the compressor will stop by itself the the pressure has been reached, I would not recommend driving off-road with an air tank under pressure.

If I missed something let me know because it is getting late here in Taiwan 1:30 am

1 - 7 of 7 Posts