Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed 18/60 springs and teraflex leveling kit, used only one puck on front and puck in rear.. All good for a few miles now when stopping I hear a clunking sound, almost like a cow bell up front, will make the noise like something swinging back and forth and hitting something. 2015 Willys, stock wheels, tires but have 1.5 spacers, (spacers have been on for a while.). Really sounds like a cow bell.... Help please. I fear I screwed up my jeep....

·
Registered
118 Posts
If it was a leveling kit I would think that both pucks would be placed on the front.
Did you hook the shocks back up after installing the pucks? I would think you have missed something being torqued back up after the work.
Please go back through the Jeep before driving and hurting yourself or someone else.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only needed one puck up front to level due to different springs. Jeep is parked and i am very mechanical inclined so i dont need daddy advice but do need help from fellow forum members with knowledge or usefull thoughts. Dont mean to sound ungrateful but your responce was sorta butt headed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No offense but being rude isn't going to get you anywhere. I don't think his response was " butt headish" typically people dont install just 1 puck and it's very easy to forget to torque something to spec. If you torqued while the jeep was on jack stands then your torque isn't what you think it is. If you're so "mechanically inclined" then I don't think you'd be asking for help. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Could a bump stop be loose and hitting the spring?

Also, cowbell. I gotta have more cowbell.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Only needed one puck up front to level due to different springs. Jeep is parked and i am very mechanical inclined so i dont need daddy advice but do need help from fellow forum members with knowledge or usefull thoughts. Dont mean to sound ungrateful but your responce was sorta butt headed.
Oh My bad, I envisioned a different leveling kit where they only supply a right and a left puck intended for the front, so I went and searched for a JK kit and discovered that they supply a front and rear not just a front right and left.
I also was in no way trying to be "Dad" or call you dumb sorry you took it that way. After installing several lifts from YJ to JK years I know sometimes its easy to miss something when you have help.
I would like to see what you find out on this to see where the root of the issue is, so I wish you well in looking.
Most of all you get another bump out of this without a Cowbell Gif which had even less meaning or help than what I offered by saying go back and look to make sure you torqued down everything properly.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Is the inside of the stab bar clipping the round protruding piece of frame? You can see it in the wheel well.

·
Registered
385 Posts
When is it happening? I get a noise from time to time going around a corner that has a bump in it. Like say pulling out of a parking lot that has a drop or bump going to the road. I have located it to my sway bar hitting the round notches that stick out of the frame.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
No offense but being rude isn't going to get you anywhere. I don't think his response was " butt headish" typically people dont install just 1 puck and it's very easy to forget to torque something to spec. If you torqued while the jeep was on jack stands then your torque isn't what you think it is. If you're so "mechanically inclined" then I don't think you'd be asking for help. Just my 2 cents.
This is the first thing that came to mind when I read the problem. OP did you swap in 18/60 springs? If so probably should try loosening all CA and TB bolts, raise it up off the ground, lower it fully back on the ground and retorque all bolts. Sounds like something is binding.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
When is it happening? I get a noise from time to time going around a corner that has a bump in it. Like say pulling out of a parking lot that has a drop or bump going to the road. I have located it to my sway bar hitting the round notches that stick out of the frame.
That's I was saying. Happened on mine as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys not trying to be rude, but felt as if telling me to park my jeep before hurting someone was just that. Please don't take me as being rude intentionally ,that comment just didn't set well, Sorry all, suppose I was already upset. I just need help. Installed lift then torqued all bolts while jeep back on the ground, The sound will happen even if stopped and go in reverse or stop a bit quickly in forward motion. Really sounds like something hanging as it will hit twice before stopping. I loosened everything and torqued all again, no difference. The noise sounds as if it coming near/below the shifter (manual). Now the transmission is making a strange grinding noise, when idling and at when given a small amount of gas when in neutral. Doesn't sound like a throughout bearing. Starting to believe it is something other than the lift. Jeep was in the shop a week ago due to popping out of first gear but nothing done as they could not replicate it. I have built many off road vehicles in the past, Unimogs, jeeps and usually screw something up in the process but figure it out...... can't figure this one out.....It is great to have the forum when help is needed. Again sorry for being rude.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Hey guys not trying to be rude, but felt as if telling me to park my jeep before hurting someone was just that. Please don't take me as being rude intentionally ,that comment just didn't set well, Sorry all, suppose I was already upset. I just need help. Installed lift then torqued all bolts while jeep back on the ground, The sound will happen even if stopped and go in reverse or stop a bit quickly in forward motion. Really sounds like something hanging as it will hit twice before stopping. I loosened everything and torqued all again, no difference. The noise sounds as if it coming near/below the shifter (manual). Now the transmission is making a strange grinding noise, when idling and at when given a small amount of gas when in neutral. Doesn't sound like a throughout bearing. Starting to believe it is something other than the lift. Jeep was in the shop a week ago due to popping out of first gear but nothing done as they could not replicate it. I have built many off road vehicles in the past, Unimogs, jeeps and usually screw something up in the process but figure it out...... can't figure this one out.....It is great to have the forum when help is needed. Again sorry for being rude.
Hmmmm. Maybe an input shaft on the tranny? I know that has to be really frustrating bro. It would drive me nuts.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know it sounds crazy, but it sounds just like a cow bell. Yes I live in the county. Enjoyed the cow bell jif, cant say I wasn't expecting it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I SAID MECHANICALLY INCLINED nothing about being INTELLIGENT,, that's why I asked for help... :> But then again asking for help may be a sign of that too... :>

1 - 20 of 29 Posts