Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First: Installation is being done as an attempt to minimize water coming into the vehicle. In removing the old seal I looked for evidence of water migrating in and could find none. OK so let's put the new one on.

Well I immediately notice the old one did not have the flange or lip if you will that come up and covers the lower edge of the windshield between the hinges, so I thought well that's a plus .... right?

I got the new one installed and to seemed to go one just fine. Now to raise the windshield and bolt it back in place. I had read all the horror stories about getting it back in place already so I expected issues. Well I got it up and looked at the situation and realized I could use a new method and that worked. I should note that I had not removed my 'spreader bars' so this made my method workable.

So ...... WHAT is the problem ??????

It's that flange/lip that comes up and covers the lower edge of the windshield frame ..... it's not really all that 'tight' against the windshield and I am wondering if I should be concerned???

I am thinking I could in some way adhere it to the windshield but not sure what best to use ????

Anyone have any ideas?????

Oh and YES the WARM WEATHER has motivated me to get to work on this beast and I am sure I will have other questions as I get deeper into this.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!

:)

·
Super Moderator
12,891 Posts
I think you have the cowl to windshield frame seal installed up side down.

The lower lip should be a little away from the top of the cowl panel. This allows the windshield to fold forward while allowing the seal to stay attached to the bottom of the windshield frame. The upper (and taller) part of the seal should touch the windshield frame.

I don't think it would hurt to put a bead of clear silicone caulk between the windshield frame and the gasket. I wouldn't put the silicone on the bottom of the seal where it rests against the cowl. The seal should be secured to the bottom of the windshield frame woth several large headed flathead screws.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you have the cowl to windshield frame seal installed up side down.

Good Luck, L.M.
No I got it on right ..... it's too much much to install upside down.

Has anyone really put one in upside down? :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The seal should be secured to the bottom of the windshield frame woth several large headed flathead screws.

Good Luck, L.M.
Large is a relative term ..... but there are nine screws.

I have seen enough install videos where people removed the old one and say rust on screws indicating the location of water leakage. I saw no such rust when I removed the old one.

Oh and I have no intention of gluing it in between the windshield and cowl.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'm sure the old one originally had a lip, it probably just rotted so bad that the PO cut it off, as I did on my old one.
I'd leave it alone for a bit, see if when it has set for awhile if the lip doesn't fit tighter. I photo of your lip would help us see how much gap you're talking about.
What is the "new" method you used that allowed you to replace it without removing the spreader bars? It seems pretty straight forward, I'd be interested in how you did yours.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the "new" method you used that allowed you to replace it without removing the spreader bars? It seems pretty straight forward, I'd be interested in how you did yours.
I did a bit of research and everyone said " get a couple of friends " or pointed me to a plan using a 2X6, some eye hooks and a ratchet strap.

I figured that the windshield on my Jeep was set to it's proper location as the doors worked fine and the spreader bars held it in place.

In my mind if I could bring the windshield back up to the spreader bars and bolt them back in I was good. So to that end I realized it might be best to leave them in place.

My method is simple and involves the use of two bar clamps long enough to bridge the gap between the spreader bar and the windshield frame itself.

I placed the fixed end of the bar clamp over the lower bolt hole of the spreader bar and on the approximate spot on the windshield frame for that bolt. Obviously this is done on both sides.

I them began the process of tightening the clamps - alternating sides.

I realized that the clamp mechanism ( screw handle ) would not be long enough so I manually closed the gap by hand while squeezing the clamp tight as much as I could. At this point the screw mechanism had more than enough movement.

Again I tightened the clamps a little at a time, alternating sides until it was up and bolt holes aligned.

Installed the bolts, removed the clamps, tightened it all down and installed the doors.

BINGO !!!!!!

I think it took me more time to type they post than it did to complete the reinstall.

WARNING -------- the spreader bars must be kept installed AND don't forget they are there hanging out in mid-air right at the same height as the top of your head! OUCH !!! :D :D :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts