Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We work at what used to be a top secret government facility. It has been re-purposed, cleaned up and turned over to the local city. The locals used to be afraid to come onto the site which gave us a lot of security. Now they are trying to make it a business park.

A coworker saw my JKURX and sold her car the next day so she could buy a 2012 JK with manual and soft top. She used to be a wrangler person and went right back. She (I used to) parked outside the perimeter fence to enjoy the walk.

Apparently they just unzipped the soft top and helped themselves. She left her purse in there so it's gone. Is there a way to secure a soft top? It looks like the zipper opens from the outside back. Does she need to get a hard top because they look very, very expensive aftermarket.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
664 Posts
The only way I've found to secure a soft top is to lock it in your garage when it's off the Jeep.

On a serious note, if your running a soft top, you really can't leave anything in the Jeep that you want to keep.
A hard top makes the Jeep much more secure.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My first jeep was a soft top. With that being said, I never left any valuables in the jeep. Jeep soft tops are just to easy to get into. If not via the zipper, a sharp knife will do. Leaving a purse in a vehicle, hard top or not, is not a good move.

An after market hard top can be found on the used market with a little bit of looking. A hard top is going to be your friends best way to secure the inside of the jeep. A soft top is a fantastic way to go for great weather and convenience. It will never be a strong line of defense against bad guys.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened to your friend. That's terrible! :(

HOWEVER! In this day and age I would NEVER leave a purse inside a vehicle -ANY vehicle. But leaving one inside a soft top jeep just seems incredibly foolish, no offense intended.

You're absolutely correct, there is NO way to secure a soft top. Zippers are on the outside and can't be locked. And even if you DID rig a lock, they'd just slice it open.

You can look at the rear security decks. Those lock and won't allow anyone access to the cargo area without the keyfob. You can also look at the under seat lock boxes. Tuffy also makes a locking steel insert for the center console, but I've read that thieves will just pry the :censored: out of them till they get in.

I refuse to carry a purse any more. I keep everything I need in a case on my phone and anything else in my pockets. My phone case holds my license, cards and a couple of emergency twenties and a hundred dollar bill. As long as I have my key and my phone, I don't have to worry about anything else.

Even if your friend invested in a hard top, if her purse was left anywhere it could be seen, it wouldn't stop a thief. Leaving valuables, even in a locked vehicle is still asking for trouble, in my humble opinion. It may slow them down a little bit more than unzipping the soft top, but if they want in, they'll get in. Bet on it.

Even in nice weather, if I had a choice between secure vs. unsecured parking, even WITHOUT anything valuable in my vehicle, I'd take the secure parking every time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I laugh every time I see these threads. The problem isn't the soft top, it is the thief. As long as the vehicle has glass, it isn't secure. A thief can take a small piece of spark plug ceramic and nearly silently break the side glass in damn near any car made.

Don't leave your valuables in plain sight. Problem solved.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Doesn't matter what vehicle it was, she was stupid to leave her purse there. She should be thankful they unzipped it instead of cutting it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies. She now parks by my spot inside the fence. No one likes the idea of random vehicle searches or lack of a nature walk. Small price to pay inside the fence and I have nothing to hide :). I don't CCW at work.

I will let her know the bad news. Soft top is the same as no top at all. She should invest in a lock box for keeping valuables. Maybe we all should.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Years ago I learned to never leave anything in a jeep that I couldn't live without.

My TJ had soft uppers. When I would have the hard top on, I would leave the door unlocked. Didn't stop a thief from cutting my passenger side window anyway.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wouldn't secure a soft top. At least they knew to unzip it. Others might not be as friendly. Think pocket knife and a very sad soft top.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you everyone for the replies. She now parks by my spot inside the fence. No one likes the idea of random vehicle searches or lack of a nature walk. Small price to pay inside the fence and I have nothing to hide :). I don't CCW at work.

I will let her know the bad news. Soft top is the same as no top at all. She should invest in a lock box for keeping valuables. Maybe we all should.
I çcw but I cant find a lockbox that will fit under my seat. I have a 2012 2 door jk .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts