Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Garage
Coyote YJ
I'll add some of the build pics and details about my the CoyoteYJ. As far as I know, it's the only Jeep with a modern Coyote 5.O. It's not completed yet (maybe 3 weeks left?). The engine and transmission are from an F-150, the engine has a mild tune and a Power by the Hour harness to make it work in the YJ, it also has headers and a CAI. It will have around 400-450HP when done (I'm not having it dyno tuned). It will also have a more aggressive exhaust (not installed yet. It started as a 2.5 5 speed 1995 YJ Rio Grande. It now has an Atlas II transfer case two speed for both axles and a ford 8.8 rear with a trac loc. The front is still the Dana 30 open diff. I may lock it later, it will mostly see lite off road and be a driver. All of the accessories from the F-150 have been used as well. We're also going to have paddle shift (actual buttons on the back of the steering wheel. New gauges to work with the drive by wire system and the auto 6r80 trans. So, I'll get started, feel free to ask. Oh, I'm not building it, I'm having it done professionally as I wanted it done at a higher level and shorter time frame than I would ever be able to accomplish! Sorry, started this in the TJ forum by accident so I moved it here.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few random pics

So, on this PC I can't really see what i'm uploading until it's loaded (dangerous!) Above are the pics of the metal cloaks installed and the 37 Treps on the Revolver wheels. Sorry this isn't going in any sort of sequence since I can't see the pics I'm loading using the upload tool here. If anyone has tips, please share.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the Coyote and 6r80 with the Atlas II before being test fitted, then the Atlas and after it's been fitted into the YJ.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the last one above you can see the engine mount that was made by Nick at Happy Trails 4x4. The detail is incredible and the strength is awesome! Obviously, they didn't have one at Napa.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That's gonna be awesome. I'm guessing you found a donor Ford? Or was the 5.0 your target motor? If I could talk a deep pocket company into wrecking my Ford PU, I'd love to pull the V-10 and 5 spd tranny and stuff it into my '89.
What are you using for cooling?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can't wait to see this thing finished! I would definitely suggest looking into a stronger front axle if you do plan to wheels it even the mildest. That will be a lot of hp for Tiny front axle!
Also do you plan to have it lifted and put bigger tires on?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coyote engine

That's gonna be awesome. I'm guessing you found a donor Ford? Or was the 5.0 your target motor? If I could talk a deep pocket company into wrecking my Ford PU, I'd love to pull the V-10 and 5 spd tranny and stuff it into my '89.
What are you using for cooling?
I atually liked the Coyote for primarly for the sound and American v8 with a flat plane crank. I was leaning LS initially, but everyone has done that, and the Coyote was a great alternantive. Plus, it's 1of1. I kinda like that, at least for now. The radiator is a Smith all aluminum (I think it's Smith). I'll add a pic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Axle

Can't wait to see this thing finished! I would definitely suggest looking into a stronger front axle if you do plan to wheels it even the mildest. That will be a lot of hp for Tiny front axle!
Also do you plan to have it lifted and put bigger tires on?
The axle will probably be next. It's got Dana 30's and won't be wheeled heavily. That'll be another $2k or or so..If i go with a D44. It has Maxxis 37's now, I don't think I'll go bigger for street tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The engine is a take out fro an F-150 4x4 Platinum that has t-boned w 10,000 miles. I bought the engine (saw a vid of it running, transmission and transfer case along with the wiring harness and ECU). I had to get a new harness, new ECU and new transfer case as teh Ford was too long. I like the Atlas better, anyway... just didn't want to pay for one!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rear angle

Here's the rear and you can also see the interior. I have a new top to be installed after it's done. It's the same as the Rampage Fastback here, that one lasted 4-5 years in Florida. Definitely worth the $$. The interior will also be one of the last on the list. I'm hoping the Adams drive shafts arrive this week. We'll see.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The radiator also has an oil cooler and trans cooler as well. I'm excited not to be overheating in traffic or doing revs to keep the fan going!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back on the road!

I finally got the CoyoteYJ back from the shop. It took 7 months, and it's got to go back in for more tweaks and adjustments after 1000k miles. I currently have about 700 on it. It makes around 450HP, has a super low first so it crawls and makes way more torque down low than I thought it would. It also screams all the way up to 7500RPM. It rides way better than it did before, and now has NO issue on the highway. I'll try to post a video if I can get it to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Could you share some more pictures of that soft top? It looks like it slants towards the back and I'm into that. If you could get me a name of that soft top that would be sweet! Great build btw :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts