Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will give the short story to this problem I need help with.
After replacing the under dash wiring harness, fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle body with new fuel injector and fuel regulator. I changed the coil, the starter modular, crank position sensor, the coolant temperature sensor, the ignition and the negative battery cable... I figure a that's left is the ECU.
Sent it in and its shorted out. Open it up and mold, melted spots and a water mark along the edge of case.. Now my question is I'd I can but a new ECU, if I get a used one. Does it have to be out of the same year? Please I'm a girl who has exaugsted her know how.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
You need the same part number PCM.

·
Super Moderator
13,304 Posts
Being a girl doesn't get you off the hook.
I treat everyone the same, male, female, all races and religions. I expect everyone to pull their own weight.

I'm real glad to know that there are ladies involving themselves in Jeeping (as well as motorcycling). I'm especially glad to hear that a lady is doing her own mechanical work.

That said, some of us have more talent and more experience than others. I can't help much with the talent, but I give freely of my experience.

If you search online, you may be able to find a company that offers rebuilt CPUs. It's unlikely that they will rebuild yours, but they may accept it as a core.
Your second choice should be a used one. I see them on CL from time to time for $10.00....the seller doesn't know if they work or not. For $10.00 you just might get a working CPU or at least a rebuildable core.
It sounds like you may have found a company to attempt a rebuild but they consider yours too far gone. Ask them what they consider a rebuildable core.

You don't state what year or engine/transmission you have. If you fill out your signature with that info plus whatever mods you have, perhaps someone has a working spare that they would be willing to part with. Plus, when you post next, if you post the part number on your dead CPU, it may increase the chances of locating one.

You might contact J&W Jeep in Antelope CA and ask for price and availability. Not cheap, but they probably have what you need.
Also, try Jeeps Unlimited in Erie Colorado.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Not really

First you need at least similar year 92-95 all swap OK

Next you need same engine six cylinder vs 4 cylinder

Then if you have an auto 3spd you need one from a 3 SPd auto

If you have a manual tranny won't matter what tranny the replacement was meant for

So best case you have a 93-95 4.0 5 SPd

Then any 92-93 wrangler or Cherokee that had a 4.0 will work don't matter if donor had a 5spd manual or a 3spd auto or a AW4 overdrive auto

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,304 Posts
Also, see the post by Cornbreadjr (94YJ needs a computer). There is some help for you there too.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
13,304 Posts
Just an observation....

A PCM for $100s will pretty much be guaranteed to work.

A $40.00 XJ PCM is hit or miss. If the XJ is wrecked (smashed up pretty good) you can be confident that the Cherokee was running and the PCM is good.

I guess it comes down to what's available to the OP and their budget, plus their tolerance for frustration.

Mylow, let us know how you proceed and how it works out for you.

BTW, welcome to the forum and Good Luck. L.M.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Give us your year, engine, trans, and PCM part number. I have found good deals on certain computers but not all.

My preference is to always keep the same PCM in there. I've had bad luck trying different PCMs in other vehicles, no personal experience with YJ PCMs. But I've seen a few people on here try different computers and not have any luck, until they got their original PCM number.

So that's your choice if you want to take a chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts