Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have confirmed my worst fear tonight, a cracked exhaust manifold. The bad part is I have a 2000 TJ, the year they were supposed to have fixed the problem. Anyway, I want to do it myself. Never done anything liek it before and looking for advice. Don't want anything fancy. Should I lookfor a 2000 replacement since they are supposed to be OK? The cracks look pretty big to me, don't know about welding. I'll try to post pics. ANy help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
i'd say replace it with the newer crack resistant ones since they have fixed the problem. i know jerry has gone through a bunch before getting it replaced with the new one, and hasn't had a problem since. and it's something you can do yourself with a little time and some standard tools.

·
Registered
73 Posts
They all crack, even the new improved version. Forget welding it. Buy headers. Have a 6 cyl, right? Hedman plain black are cheap, reliable and may net a hp or two gain. If you have basic tools you can do the install. A creeper to get under the Jeep is nice b/c you will have to get to a couple of the bolts from below and a creeper is like working while laying on your couch. I wasn't stoked about the cardboard gasket provided by Hedman, so you may want to find a better gasket on your own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
http://www.carpartstoyourdoor.com/

I used this company for my replacement on my 98 4.0. Received in 2 days, lifetime replacement warranty, and all the parts you need for the install. Looks like $89.00 shipped for your application.
I replaced mine in about 2.5 hrs, fairly easy, just take your time.
Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ANyone know where I can find a manifold for the 2.5 L engine that has the expandable joints? I can't find it anywhere. Only for the 4.0

·
Registered
73 Posts
Banks TorqueTube manifold doesn't have expandable joints, but it does claim a lifetime warranty and is now available for the 4 cyl. Another option may be the Pacesetter Armorcoat Header.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts